Current engine swap laws in Salt Lake County

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Hey all, quick question on this topic. Searched, but all the answers were old and many I had written. (I was licensed Davis County Emissions tester back in the mid 90's- another life.)
My son in law has a clean 1986 Comanche with the anemic 2.8L which has blown a head gasket. The sticker shows it needs Cat, AIP, and EGR.
He wants to swap in a 4.3l, 4l60e combo in its place. The drive train is from a 1994 S-10. These had no air pump (AIP).

Is this going to be a show stopper?

rollover

My understanding when last I talked to them (years ago) the engine must be same year compliant or newer with all emission components intact.
It may have changed since then.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
OK. I called the number at Slco as Kevin B suggested. Very nice and helpful. Technically it is not legal by EPA, however they recognize that the newer motor will run cleaner so it is still allowed by local laws/enforcement.
They would prefer us to find a 4.3l with an air pump. It will not ever be able to qualify for a waiver if the new motor does not have an air pump. That said, as long as it will pass the sniff test for the year of the truck it will not fail just because of the missing air pump.

Sorta simple. Definitely a grey area, even for the good folks administering the program.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?94549-v6-to-v8-conversion-passing-emmisions

More specifically:

" 4.3.9. Engine Changes. Vehicles qualifying for testing under this part shall not be eligible for a repair waiver.

(i) Vehicles model year 1968 to 1983 shall be tested according to the year of the vehicle (regardless of the year of the engine) and may be tested at any station.

(ii) If a 1984 and newer vehicle has an engine other than the original, the vehicle owner must have the vehicle inspected by the Department and must demonstrate to the Director that the emission control systems on that engine are equally or more effective in controlling emissions as those systems originally manufactured on the vehicle before a Certification of Compliance is issued.

(iii) Kit cars must be inspected by the Department and may be inspected according to the year of the engine provided that the owner can provide appropriate documentation. "

http://www.slvhealth.org/envRegs/reg22aVehicleInspec.html

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Thanks Kurt!

Always a wealth of good info, but man your avatars freak me out a little!!

Sorry to open this back up but ocnorb was the truck built? Pretty sure I owned this truck for a few months then sold it to a guy in California just trying to get more info on the truck I guess. It was yellow with i believe 35s steel bumpers and a 4.3l v6 and an automatic transmission