Currie HD steering

trpl xj

Any of you TJ guys running the Currie steering set up on your Jeep? If so do you like it, or do you hate it? I'm thinking of using it on the XJ. I'm having some custom long arms made and I need to redo the steering but don't know what to do for sure. I noticed in the EJS 2003 paper that Tera Flex has a new dana 30 knuckle for cross over steeing but I couldn't find any info on their web page. Any suggestions you can give me or point me to someone that know what the hell their doing, I do't want to end up with some POS steering setup that doesn't work. I guess I should mention I will have 8" or 9" of lift and I'm using the stock dana 30. And if I can get my POS digicam to work I will take some pics of the install and do a write up on it to put in the how to section.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Suka has some stuff that is better than the currie, or he could order the currie stuff if you reall want it.
If you want we (me & Suka) can build a custom steering set up for your knuckles or for the Tera knuckle. Biggest problem with steering on an XJ is the sway bar brackets and the trac bar mount.

Who is doing the long arms? What style of joints/mnts.
Bet we could save you some money!!
I drive my wifes XJ daily. I built a long arm for it over 3 years ago, along with a t style steering.

Sorry all for the shameless plug, I ussually leave that for Brandon to do

Marc

trpl xj

plug away I don't mind. MT Logan Off road is building the arms for me. They are using some Currie arms of some kind for the lowers with bushings in one end and a johny joint in the other. They are also cuting them and making the adjustable. The upper arms are going to mount in the stock location but are going to be adjustable. And they are building the uppers from scratch with a JJ at the frame mount end. Then I'm going to build my own lower arm mounts and weld them the the "frame". I have a RE HD track bar right know. And I don't mind relocating to the top of the axle if it would help with the steering. I'm interested to know what you would charge me to build the steering.

I'm not sure how much the arms are going to cost I'm going tonight after work to look at the quote that he has for me. I should know tomorrow what it's going to cost me. rckcrlr were is suka's shop at? I might be able to bring my Jeep there to have you look at it for me?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
John is a good guy, He does good work.
I would relocate the trac bar to the top of the axle.

As for steering, you enter the great debate of TRE vs Heims. Price is about the same. Just pulling a # out of my butt, $200 in parts (XHD threaded tube for the t-rod and d-link with either heim or tre) Then labor kinda depends on if you use a Tera knuckle or stay stock, and if you want to retain the stock sway bar. Again from my butt I would say less than $150.

Have you thought about attatching the upper arm down on the new lower long arm? (RE style) Thus making it a raduis arm. I have had good luck with this setup as long as rubber bushings are used at the axle and where they intersect. Ford style or JJ at rear both work. The thing I like about this type of radius arm setup is you can run without a sway bar. And it still flexes very well.

I know some here disagree with raduis arm theory.
JMHO, take it for what it is worth. I personally don't like what long lowers and short uppers do to pinion angles.

Marc

Hey Brandon those prices sound fair to you, it is your shop after all.

trpl xj

I would like to use TRE this is my DD and I would rather stay away from the heims if possible. Those prices don't sound to bad cheaper than the Currie stuff. I have thought about the upper into the lower arm style, but I thought I would try it with a short upper first. If it doesn't work then I can always go the other route. I hear what you say about pinion angles thats my biggest worry about the set up. But on the other hand if I do the upper into the lower I run the risk of ripping the mounts off the axle, I guess its about sixes.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ask Brent about the pinion angle thing. He set his up exactly as you've described and now has almost exactly what Marc has just described (minus one upper arm....two link to the 'frame' and a 3 link to the axle......---whatever that makes it). He's still running a trackbar and doesn't run a swaybar.....

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
My wifes has been raduised armed and heimed steering for 3+ years. It has been all over Moab and is not babied at all. I used stock rubber at all frt joints and ford rubbere at the rear of the arm. It is driven DAILY. I have not replace anything in 3 years. I used cheap heims at first, went bad in a couple months, the PCM's in there have been there since! Lube them ever month or so and drive it. But, I do understand reason for staying with TRE.

Marc

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
EB guys have been doing the semi raduis arm/missing upper/wristed/whatever thing for a while. The biggest draw back I have heard from that type of set up is a funky brake/acceleration dive/lift. I would guess because there is nothing controling the twisting forces on that side. I have often though about removing the psuedo upper on one side and try it, but haven't because it works great the way it is.

Marc M (since Mr. Bryson is now in this thread)
Or Maybe
Marcus
Less confusing?

trpl xj

Originally posted by mbryson
Ask Brent about the pinion angle thing. He set his up exactly as you've described and now has almost exactly what Marc has just described (minus one upper arm....two link to the 'frame' and a 3 link to the axle......---whatever that makes it). He's still running a trackbar and doesn't run a swaybar.....

I talked to Brent a while back about his setup and I'm not yet sold on the overall setup. If all else fails I weld to tabs on the lower arms and move the uppers down. To each his own I guess? I still have a some time to think it over, waiting on uncle sam to give me some $$. But keep the suggestions coming.

sukaB

Banned
Sounds close to me Marcus.....
Buying an arm and having it theaded ...whew that can't be cheap.
Like I always say--------Do it right the first time....

trpl xj

Ok, got some prices last night. And the lower arms are 200 for the pair. and the uppers are 210 the 8" coils 155 and the real pisser the rear 8" springs are 510 :eek:

I think I'm going to get the Big offroad springs instead. There made by Alcan and are 449 a pair for the 8"ers

After I get all this junk installed I will need to bring my Jeep to you guys (rckcrlr, sukab) and Have you look at the steering for me.

Last edited:

trpl xj

Originally posted by rckcrlr
We can do that!
Suka check with Alcan, I think we can save some $$ there,. The last set I had them build was cheaper than that.

Yea, if you guys can get the springs for cheaper that would great, and besides I would rather suport a local guy if at all possible.

sukaB

Banned
Yup.....Springs cheaper
Arm's Built with joints? and threads-heavy wall 200 would be plenty.
Giddy--up......

Parker

Originally posted by trpl xj
Ok, got some prices last night. And the lower arms are 200 for the pair. and the uppers are 210 the 8" coils 155 and the real pisser the rear 8" springs are 510 :eek:

I think I'm going to get the Big offroad springs instead. There made by Alcan and are 449 a pair for the 8"ers

After I get all this junk installed I will need to bring my Jeep to you guys (rckcrlr, sukab) and Have you look at the steering for me.

The Skyjacker 7.5" spring priced individually jobber at $251.44ea. You get a 15% discount along with free freight making them approximately $425.00 for the pair. The price in Skyjacker's Jobber book for a pair of 7.5" springs and shackles (part# JC75) is $611.45. With the discount given to you they are $510.00 including shipping.

trpl xj

yea, I know I'm getting a discount on the Skyjackers. But I still might go with the Alcans, the price is a little cheaper. It all depends on how soon I can get the Alcans. If I have to wait for 4 weeks to get them then I will go with the Skyjackers. Or if the price of the Alcans + shipping is more than the Skyjackers, then I'll go with the Skyjackers.