cutting the cord and dumping satellite / cable TV -- who here has done it, and how?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
We don't have a roku. We currently have chromecast and the samsung tv apps.

I'm hoping that by getting an apple tv we can use that as the hub for everything and won't have to fiddle around and hope that the app will work here or there. Disney+ is probably the worst offender on the samsung app. The chromecast 4k has worked great but its always been lame that I have to have my phone with me to start shows or cast what I want to view to the tv.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member

I'm hoping that by getting an apple tv we can use that as the hub for everything and won't have to fiddle around and hope that the app will work here or there. Disney+ is probably the worst offender on the samsung app. The chromecast 4k has worked great but its always been lame that I have to have my phone with me to start shows or cast what I want to view to the tv.
Disney+ didn’t work well on one of our two new Samsung frame TV’s. It was the weirdest thing, it always had an error but worked flawlessly on the other one. I reset everything and it’s been fine since.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor

I like my Roku. It works FAR better than the Samsung apps on the TV, and is easier/faster and seems more stable than my Chromecast.

rholbrook

Bar none, the best solution is from SuperBox. I have the Superbox S3 Pro. There is like 1,300 channels all FREE. My wife gets her Jazz fix with it. You can buy them on eBay for about $100 less. I like the voice remote too. You need to check this out. I tossed my Roku and my FireStick. I still have Dish but only so we can record our shows. The SuperBox has the capability to save shows for 7 days but I haven't tried to figure that out yet.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Bar none, the best solution is from SuperBox. I have the Superbox S3 Pro. There is like 1,300 channels all FREE. My wife gets her Jazz fix with it. You can buy them on eBay for about $100 less. I like the voice remote too. You need to check this out. I tossed my Roku and my FireStick. I still have Dish but only so we can record our shows. The SuperBox has the capability to save shows for 7 days but I haven't tried to figure that out yet.
That almost sounds too good to be true... I like it!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I picked up the new apple tv 4k with ethernet I was looking at yesterday. It was a pain logging in to my accounts without a keyboard but I got it done.

An unexpected bonus is that the apple remote will turn on/off the TV and will also control the volume on my receiver. This makes me happy and totally makes it a worth while purchase already.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Can you run multiple TVs off one box or do you need one for each tv?

shortstraw8

Can you run multiple TVs off one box or do you need one for each tv?

FAQ says not right now.
One TV accesses One box. Currently, the Multi-screen feature is unavailable. However, our developers are doing their best to see if we can get a suitable partner for this feature to use our service

Sounds like you are paying for the box and not the apps/iptv on it. Also not sure on the legality of from the looks of things, free PPV? iptv has been around but the off shoot providers tend to go out pretty quick.
Also look into a good vpn and something like a piehole cause this looks like shopify and google take all your data not to mention amount grabbed by the iptv provider they use.
In the end you will still end up with a little android arm device to throw and app store on and put your streaming apps on. Basically a tv smarthub that you can control, would be a good setup for linux based arm OS if the superbox stuff goes away.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Slow day at work, so I went full nerdery and installed Jackett, Sonarr, Radarr, and Overseer on my download box. I've been meaning to do this for a long time, just never did. Its freaking awesome. Essentially you're creating your own torrent indexer that searches across all the various sites (that you specify) and finds what you search for. And with Overseer you create a really slick GUI that users can go to and request content from. So no more of my wife asking me to download the latest episodes of Love Island, or @bobn texting me to find some obscure New Hollywood film; now they can just go look for it themselves and it gets added to my Plex automatically!