cutting the cord and dumping satellite / cable TV -- who here has done it, and how?

Caleb

I signed up for Directv Now and for the most part I like it, I just wish the menus were like Directv. I am going to give it a try before I cancel my Directv.

If you're looking to replace a traditional system (satellite or cable) and want to keep the same feel in the guide, you've picked probably the best for that. Of all the internet based services, it's the closest feel to a traditional guide. All the others are different, good or bad is up to what you prefer, but they are different.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
hey @Stephen how is sling working for you?

I'm thinking I may jump on their double package for $40, add the DVR for $5, add the sports pack for $5 and then cancel my dish subscription. I really only watch ESPN and then Jazz and Utah football games. My prettier half only watches Instagram and the occasional TLC show (which of course is on the other package or else I could get away with just one of their packages).

We already have hulu, netflix, amazon prime, and plex, so I think with this I can throw about anything I would want to watch to my chrome cast and watch on my tv. I think I'd need to pick up a cheap Samsung Tablet to use as a remote control (we have chrome casts), but with $75 per month in savings I think I can pay for a little tablet without much heart burn.

I like the idea of that AirTV, but it sure gets shit reviews. If someone were to come up with a "hub" that integrates all of the content into a single user friendly GUI/guide, I feel like that would really give the big cable providers the fear of death.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Ya, that's something that I think we'll see more of. I already have ESPN+ and Hulu, but maybe down the road Disney will be something we need to add to keep the minions from bothering me ;)

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
hey @Stephen how is sling working for you?

I'm thinking I may jump on their double package for $40, add the DVR for $5, add the sports pack for $5 and then cancel my dish subscription. I really only watch ESPN and then Jazz and Utah football games. My prettier half only watches Instagram and the occasional TLC show (which of course is on the other package or else I could get away with just one of their packages).

We already have hulu, netflix, amazon prime, and plex, so I think with this I can throw about anything I would want to watch to my chrome cast and watch on my tv. I think I'd need to pick up a cheap Samsung Tablet to use as a remote control (we have chrome casts), but with $75 per month in savings I think I can pay for a little tablet without much heart burn.

I like the idea of that AirTV, but it sure gets shit reviews. If someone were to come up with a "hub" that integrates all of the content into a single user friendly GUI/guide, I feel like that would really give the big cable providers the fear of death.

The main goal of it was to get IndyCar, Formula 1, and NASCAR along with various automotive shows (like MotorWeek) that my Dad enjoys watching. For everything but Formula 1 its worked as planned. Since F1 is on an ESPN station, you cannot record it. You have to watch it live or wait until they decide to put it up after the race is over; which seems to be totally arbitrary. And sometimes they just choose not to put the race (or qualifying) up after its over! They also seem to choose the name arbitrarily, so finding the races is an adventure week to week (Formula 1, Formula One, F1, Hungarian Grand Prix, Rolex Grand Prix Germany, ect). Not sure how it works for other programs on ESPN, but with F1 I've been pretty disappointing. I've actually given up on Sling for F1 and just started torrent them again.
But, its worked great for Indy and my Dad hasn't had any issues with NASCAR or his other shows. So I think the $40/month (it comes out to $48.87 after taxes ect) has been worth it.

I'm resurrecting this old thread to ask a question that doesn't seem to have been answered in the previous discussion:

My mom lives in a condo in South Jordan. She really only watches local channels (2,4,5,7,9,11). She is fed up with paying for Xfinity, but she is on the east side of her building on the ground floor. I haven't been able to get any antenna to work. Is there a streaming service that an 87 year old could operate that would provide these at something less than the crazy Xfinity rate? Or some solution like an antenna amplifier or something that would work? She obviously can't put anything on the roof, etc.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
YouTube TV works for local channels. YouTube TV was way less expensive than cable for us. It was relatively easy to use. We used a firestick, but a smart TV could work.

Die Blaue Ziege

Working on a Ford somewhere
I'm resurrecting this old thread to ask a question that doesn't seem to have been answered in the previous discussion:

My mom lives in a condo in South Jordan. She really only watches local channels (2,4,5,7,9,11). She is fed up with paying for Xfinity, but she is on the east side of her building on the ground floor. I haven't been able to get any antenna to work. Is there a streaming service that an 87 year old could operate that would provide these at something less than the crazy Xfinity rate? Or some solution like an antenna amplifier or something that would work? She obviously can't put anything on the roof, etc.
If she has Xfinity internet, she can get their flex box free, it plays amazing, Hulu, Netflix as well as a host of other free providers, it also give her peacock plus tv free. We really like it and it is already a free option for her. Give it a try

J-mobzz

I can't speak to an easy-to-use streaming service but as far as an RF amp it's possible but probably not probable. All the TV Channels went to UHF when they made the digital switch years ago so for example, Fox 13 isn't really on CH13 anymore it's CH28. You can get a UHF freq amp and it will likely boost the signal but unlike old analog tv, it doesn't do you any good if the signal is not good going in. The amp would be used to boost the signal from a good antenna location to the TV to prevent signal loss over the cable run. You could try a higher gain antenna but like all antennas the better they are the bigger they get. But if you look at the old big antennas used for tv the Big part was VHF that's no longer used so you actually can get pretty decent UHF-only antennas that are not massive. While it would be an eyesore to have in the house something like this would be the best bet.

Brad J

I can't speak to an easy-to-use streaming service but as far as an RF amp it's possible but probably not probable. All the TV Channels went to UHF when they made the digital switch years ago so for example, Fox 13 isn't really on CH13 anymore it's CH28. You can get a UHF freq amp and it will likely boost the signal but unlike old analog tv, it doesn't do you any good if the signal is not good going in. The amp would be used to boost the signal from a good antenna location to the TV to prevent signal loss over the cable run. You could try a higher gain antenna but like all antennas the better they are the bigger they get. But if you look at the old big antennas used for tv the Big part was VHF that's no longer used so you actually can get pretty decent UHF-only antennas that are not massive. While it would be an eyesore to have in the house something like this would be the best bet.

I got that same antenna 3 years ago and put it in my attic. It works great for getting the local channels on all of our TV's.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
One of the big reasons I cut the cord way back in '06 was I loath commercials. LOATH them. As I'm sure all of you have noticed, most streaming devices now shovel ads down your throat right on the landing page. Amazon Fire TV has gotten particularly bad.
Tonight I decided to install Wolf Launcher on my Firestick 4K. Man, its awesome. I can totally customize the landing page with just the apps I want, put whatever background I want on there, and NO DAMN ADS!

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I cut the cord years ago and I'm amazed when I go to a hotel and watch TV, Half the time I wander around clicking through commercials until I see something that looks interesting, No idea what the show is, how long it's been going, when it's going to end, then it goes to commercial and the commercials run longer than the show. :D

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
One of the big reasons I cut the cord way back in '06 was I loath commercials. LOATH them. As I'm sure all of you have noticed, most streaming devices now shovel ads down your throat right on the landing page. Amazon Fire TV has gotten particularly bad.
Tonight I decided to install Wolf Launcher on my Firestick 4K. Man, its awesome. I can totally customize the landing page with just the apps I want, put whatever background I want on there, and NO DAMN ADS!
I'm with you on that. We tried the cheap hulu subscription once for like 5 minutes and all I felt was intense anger the first 2 commercials that I stopped what we were watching and went and upgraded our sub so I didn't have to see it.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Looking for something new again whats the latest and greatest now? Had ATT watch Tv because it was included with our phone plan but they are discontinuing the service at the end of the month. Was nice because it didn't cost anything, about 30 channels which was more than sufficient.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm really feeling this meme. I feel like we have roughly 376 different streaming services and it's probably more expensive than cable.

We have like 7 and it's not more expensive but it's fun to joke about. It's been just shy of 3 years and I don't miss having cable at all.
33c89a1f75b50ab32488d1e38788ecd50a0f91a7643e86fcb8ec98cd65015612_1.jpg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm with you on that. We tried the cheap hulu subscription once for like 5 minutes and all I felt was intense anger the first 2 commercials that I stopped what we were watching and went and upgraded our sub so I didn't have to see it.
Oh yeah, watching commercials is for impoverished people with 14 bolts that make their own fuel cells. :rofl:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Do any of you have an Apple TV? I want to know if there is a built in app for "PBS Kids" available on it. I saw a listing for PBS but not specifically for the kids shows.

The new on launches tomorrow and I was thinking about picking one up since my TV's apps are consistently not working as intended. Thanks.