CYJ Willys Thingy

Bart

The first weekend of wheeling was an adventure, and highlighted successes along with identifying additional items that still need attention. Since Matt (UPNO4) was busy on Friday, I contacted Jeff Stevens (DirtSquirl) to head out on the maiden voyage. We decided to run up Pritchett. The first thing I noticed was that the suspension was really stiff, and will need some adjustments, and although the brakes were much better than before, they will need to be upgraded in the near future. Besides a LOT of new noises, everything went well until we got to the playground before Rocker Knocker. I was on a steep climb and playing on different lines, when the motor began to stumble. It was so bad that I had to shut it down. Our diagnosis was that because it was so hot outside, and after long stretches of driving, the fuel pressure regulator was somehow restricting flow of the return line. After letting everything sit and cool down for 10 to 15 minutes, it would start up and run just fine, until the next steep climb. We made it up to Axle Hill and decided to head back down. Sorry, no pics.

Bart

Jeff and I both discussed running Coyote Canyon on Saturday, and agreed that because it would be cooler earlier in the morning, and continuous lag times between obstacles, that the fuel problem would not be an issue on Saturday. That was a correct assessment and I didn't experience that problem again, the rest of the weekend.

Overall I am extremely pleased with the new rig, and despite the time and expense of all the upgrades, it was well worth it, and it will be a fun rig when I get it dialed in.

The major things that need attention:

The fuel problem. I'm going to replace the filter on the Aeromotive fuel regulator and see if that helps. If not I will need help from an LS expert on next steps.

The brakes need help. I ditched the old dual 3/4" master cylinders, for a YJ brake booster and new master cylinder. Although they are much better, the 1" bore of the new MC is not big enough to feed the new large front and rear calipers. This winter I will add a hydro boost system, plumbed into the PSC hydraulic system, along with a new 1-1/8" master cylinder. I am limited on space under the hood, but I think this will all fit.

The suspension needs to be softened up a bit. Luckily the rear ORIs are easy to adjust so I'll start there with less pressure in the bottom chambers. After that I'll work with Accutune on the front coil overs, on pressure and spring rates.

There are numerous other small things that will be improved, but I am already looking forward to the next trip out. It's so cool to be out wheeling again. One more BIG thanks to Matt (UPNO4) for all of his help on this.

UPNO4

Addicted
Always fun to see what we can build from a pile parts and some creative thinking. Rig looks great and works pretty good so far too. Ready for the next build night or week :rofl: But I apparently need to work on mine a little bit first

Bart

It's been a while since I've updated this so I thought I'd share some progress. I spent 10 days of substantial wheeling at Sand Hollow and have to say that overall, I'm pleased with the rig. Following Kevin Boren around for 3 days doing 9 and 10 rated trails was an absolute blast and brought back memories of more technical wheeling. Over those days we ran Arrowhead twice, Chain Reaction, Nasty Whole, Joint Effort, TNT, The Maze, The Fallen, and Nasty Half. Kevin is a great spotter and we came through with minimal new rock rash. Over Trail Hero we lead and gunned Risky Biz, The Maze, 777, Double Sammy, and did the Fallen one last time on an evening run.

Overall, I'm stoked for the way it's turned out. There are a few problems I'll need to work out. The front upper control arm and the front driveline are battling for the same space when the left front is compressed and the right front is drooped, and I'm getting some wicked rear steer, that I'd like to fix. It's going to sit for a while so I can address some long overdue house projects, but more mods are coming in the near future.

IMG_1686.jpgResized_Resized_20230921_150203.JPEGResized_Resized_20230921_150957.JPEGIMG_1748.JPGIMG_1749.JPGIMG_7022.JPEGIMG_7028.JPEG