d30-d35-over d44

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Hey, redrock I've done a couple of springovers with different vehicles (inc 2 YJ's). I helped a friend do one a few years back using the RE kit and it was pretty straight forward. They do flex like crazy, but you'll need to use a sway bar w/ diconnects if you want to drive it on the freeway at all. You will also need a rear traction bar of some kind because of the increased spring wrap. It seems like the front springs sagging after some hard wheeling could be fixed by lowering the front bumpstops a little. You will also need longer brake lines. I think the biggest issue is the steering. To really do it right you will need to invest some time and $$ figuring this out. I have seen everything from high steer systems to bending the drag links :eek: (yes I have done this, but I would'nt do it now) When I lifted my wife's YJ I decided to put coils in the front and use Ford radius arms. So I just found a Picknpull D44 for it. One reason was because it made the steering a no brainer. The other was because the radius arms acted like a sway bar so it feels (and is) 1000% safer than any other Jeep I have driven with a spring over. I can even say that it handles better than any TJ I've driven with similiar lift.(probably because of the 'rear steer' effect that rear four links have. In the rear I redrilled the spring perches and moved the axle back about 1" (every little bit of wheelbase helps) I added one extra leaf to the pack and it is holding up fine. I would not have felt safe about my wife driving her Jeep with any other spring over. See if someone will let you take their SOA Jeep for a spin before you decide what to do.

Here's a pic of her Jeep- It would flex better with a wristed arm:cool:

redrock

thanks ocnorb its hard to know what to do spring over looks great then everybody throws the pro and cons at me and my mind get all screwed up plus i want to do it for my self to me what good is it if you have someone else does it for you then you have to keep paying someone to fix it. i want to learnall take all this and think about not going to start till this summer so i have plenty of time

redrock

Here's a pic of her Jeep- It would flex better with a wristed arm:cool: [/B][/QUOTE]so you took a front end of a xj or something in that order then just have coils costom to fit the spring over

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by OCNORB
Hey, redrock I've done a couple of springovers with different vehicles (inc 2 YJ's). I helped a friend do one a few years back using the RE kit and it was pretty straight forward. They do flex like crazy, but you'll need to use a sway bar w/ diconnects if you want to drive it on the freeway at all. You will also need a rear traction bar of some kind because of the increased spring wrap. It seems like the front springs sagging after some hard wheeling could be fixed by lowering the front bumpstops a little. You will also need longer brake lines. I think the biggest issue is the steering. To really do it right you will need to invest some time and $$ figuring this out. I have seen everything from high steer systems to bending the drag links :eek: (yes I have done this, but I would'nt do it now) When I lifted my wife's YJ I decided to put coils in the front and use Ford radius arms. So I just found a Picknpull D44 for it. One reason was because it made the steering a no brainer. The other was because the radius arms acted like a sway bar so it feels (and is) 1000% safer than any other Jeep I have driven with a spring over. I can even say that it handles better than any TJ I've driven with similiar lift.(probably because of the 'rear steer' effect that rear four links have. In the rear I redrilled the spring perches and moved the axle back about 1" (every little bit of wheelbase helps) I added one extra leaf to the pack and it is holding up fine. I would not have felt safe about my wife driving her Jeep with any other spring over. See if someone will let you take their SOA Jeep for a spin before you decide what to do.

Here's a pic of her Jeep- It would flex better with a wristed arm:cool:

Wow!.....that's exactly what I was thinking of doing, minus the radius arms and adding some D60's...something about 96-101 inches or so {whatever I can get out of the tub-the longer the better in that range}.... What wheelbase are you sitting at? Just the one inch over stock?

OCNORB

Supporting Member
It's actually an F-150 fromt end. I changed the rear to a 1/2 ton 60 and the wheels to 5 on 5 1/2. I did his as cheap as I could (under $1500).

mbryson- The front end is moved forward too- keeps the tires from hitting when you turn. The wheelbase is about 94". I used TJ flares to open up the wheelwells.

hey mark- you know me- remember the pipebender??

OCNORB

Supporting Member
oops -forgot redrocks ?? - the coils are from Wildhorse for Early Broncos. The upper coils mounts came w/ the front axle from the F150. They fit the yj frame quite nicely.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by OCNORB
It's actually an F-150 fromt end. I changed the rear to a 1/2 ton 60 and the wheels to 5 on 5 1/2. I did his as cheap as I could (under $1500).

mbryson- The front end is moved forward too- keeps the tires from hitting when you turn. The wheelbase is about 94". I used TJ flares to open up the wheelwells.

hey mark- you know me- remember the pipebender??

I don't remember the pipebender right now.....????:confused: :confused: ??? and I've been sober for at least the last 13 years {it's been that long?}

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
you always have to remember the can of worms you open when you are working with suspension.

to sum up the suggestions for the spring over...

pros:
better flex
higher profile
u-bolts flipped over

cons:
you have to come up with a lot of upgrades all at once to make the whole idea work.
traction bar
brake lines
lowered bumpstops
slip yoke eliminator
new rear CV driveline for the SYE
you also outgrow your ability to house adequete tires because you will want to run 35's

be careful when wanting to do spring overs on that YJ. I wanted to do it until I got my YJ with 3" lift springs and 1.25 shackles. that is 4.25" of lift and my driveline is right at it's limit. I will be needing a slip yoke eliminator sooner or later if I want to wheel my YJ at all.

if you do a spring over you will need to do a slip yoke elim kit, get a new driveline, put on new brakelines, get cross-over steering(if you don't use those crappy drop draglinks...), and install a traction bar.....that come in over 1000 dollars by my calcs....

RE spring over kit ...269.95 -SYE.........................350.00 (HD version...dont kid yourself with anything less)
CV driveline............250-300

skyjacker traction bar 275.00

that is well over 1000$

Last edited: