Jeep Dana 30 rebuild kit

shortstraw8

So as always I end up here after not coming to a decision on my own. I am getting a better locker in trade for my Detroit locker.

I was hoping to be able to get by with just replacing the seals, but the last time it was taken apart, whoever put it together didn't know/care when doing so.

I have been looking and seeing so much I want to do (chromoly shafts, or the RCV shafts) but need to stay in budget.

So I am looking for a hub to hub rebuild kit, seals and bearings, I have seen a bunch of kits like the G2, Alloy, Yukons but just wondering if anyone has a preference on any of them. They all seem about the same though.

Also anyone know if there is a set of grease-able upper and lower ball joints for the older dana, I have only seen uppers. And maybe your favorite (cheapish) grease-able U-joints for stocker shafts.

!983 CJ7 Dana 30 27 spline

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I would keep the Detroit. Put the minimum into the 30 you can. You would be crazy to go with RCVs but I can almost see upgrading to shafts that run the bigger Ujoints. What you are talking about doing to your 30 will cost just as much as a 44 and I would skip the 44 and build a 60.

shortstraw8

Yeah, I agree with you on doing a dana 60, but that is way out for now. And might not even be something I do to this jeep, might be a buggy build if I get the chance. I am getting an ox locker for trade on my detroit so I am not going to pass that up, the RCV shafts look sweet but really more than I would put into this axle, maybe might try to talk my wife into letting me spend $700 on some chromoly shafts just cause it is already torn apart.
Was just seeing if anyone had any input on a good bearing and seal rebuild kit, wish I had the money/time for a good build though I already have my hands full rebuilding this project.

Bart

I'd bet AllJeep can come up with a rebuild kit and the alloy shafts. In reality, you can build the 30 almost to the strength of the 44 with the direction that you're heading.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
When I ran my 30 the things I broke constantly were the hubs. The first thing I would do would be to at least swap in the earlier 6 bolt ones. I actually had very good luck with the rest of the axle. I would not trade a Detroit for an Ox, but if you must have the selectable then go for it.

shortstraw8

Found some bad news when I pulled the diff out.

20150617_122538.jpg

20150617_122601.jpg

20150617_124812.jpg

When I pulled the cover I saw a bunch of nasty gunk at the bottom, but figured it was due to the breather vent being disconnected at the top of the axle.
Turns out most of it was metal chunks and grit when I hovered a magnet on top of the oil pan.

Most people would use this as a time to upgrade to a 60 or 44, but for me I am strangely attached to this Jeep the way it is, so I am just going to beef up these axles.