Dana 30

I'm looking to do a Dana 30 on the front of my 2wd Ranger to start her off in the right direction to being a 4x4 (well, that and the f-150 springs that I put in screwed my IFS and the truck is now frankly unsafe). I know I've seen many of them go for around $75-150 so I'll hit in the middle. Anybody in the SLC area (loosely defined as Draper to Brigham) have a spare d30? I don't care if it's got a locker or anything, I'd prefer 3.73 or 4.10 gears but will discuss others, and the axle must have brakes and the tie rod (makes my life easier and cheaper - college is 'spensive :/ ), I also need a drivers side diff. Realistically, an axle from an XJ or YJ is perfect for the application (I'd like to avoid the vacuum actuated crap if I can but if that's what I'm presented with, it's better than nothing at least) Email me if you have anything that may help out! kylehayes83 at gmail - don't spam me

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
You can get an XJ d30 out of junkyard pretty much all the time. They're mainly non-vac and all but the last couple years are hi-pinion but they are mainly 3.55 gears. You may be able to find a 4 cylinder model with 4.10's but I don't see them around as much anymore it seems.

I know at least 97 TJ's had 3.73's in the manual tranny models but they are also low pinion so that is a downer.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
I am doing this to my bronco II. It is close to the same situation you are in. Junk yard axles are plentiful, and cheap. I am going with leaves instead of coils.

Cascadia

Undecided
I have one in a 99 TJ with 3.73's and a lock right and heavy duty tie rod. If I end up parting out my jeep I'll let you know. But hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Skiboarder - I heard the other day that your axle was on, I am going with leafs because they are the easiest to throw on and should do great for the intended purpose of my truck (All show, no go until I'm eventually talked into a v8 swap as well) Basically with an XJ, MJ, or TJ axle, front leafs, the same shackles and leaf perches as the rear of the truck (ease of install, cheap from JY), steering box from a BII, a custom drag link, and a few little odds and ends as well as the e-shift transfer case from a BII and custom drive shafts then my 2wd won't be very 2wd any more :D Like I said before though, for right now, I could care less about 4x4 just so long as the truck is not so incredibly sketchy to drive anymore.

Cascadia - Please do let me know if you decide to part your Jeep! That would be pretty much perfect for my application! Maybe it's time for FW axles? ;)

RockChucker

not sure what your time frame is like, but i will have a 30 and a 35 out of a TJ here in a few weeks. i believe they have 3.07's though

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
Skiboarder - I heard the other day that your axle was on, I am going with leafs because they are the easiest to throw on and should do great for the intended purpose of my truck (All show, no go until I'm eventually talked into a v8 swap as well) Basically with an XJ, MJ, or TJ axle, front leafs, the same shackles and leaf perches as the rear of the truck (ease of install, cheap from JY), steering box from a BII, a custom drag link, and a few little odds and ends as well as the e-shift transfer case from a BII and custom drive shafts then my 2wd won't be very 2wd any more :D Like I said before though, for right now, I could care less about 4x4 just so long as the truck is not so incredibly sketchy to drive anymore.

My front axle is on. The final height is not finalized though. I will do that when I get the Bronco back together. If you can get the shackles from your leaf donor that would save you some headache. Just a lot less fab work. I wish I had done the sas swap, or the engine swap first. Doing both was a big bite.

B2-Bomber

I disagree, doing the v8 swap, full width swap, and sas all at once was a lot easier for me..........

**edit, sorry Kyle for jacking your thread

Last edited:
Well, looks like I just bought half of an XJ... I'm getting the D30 out of a friend's 'Manche (the upper control arm bracket apparently snapped off) and I get the D35 out of the rear of the XJ. Haven't looked at it yet but hopefully it's L/S or something - or, better yet a D44 if it had the tow package!

B2-Bomber

you would still be better off with an 8.8 than a d35, The D44rear is about equal to an 8.8, but it's all good. the Xj will get you a high pinion D30 so that's nice.

you also just bought part of a broncoII so between the 2 rigs you will have everything you need.