Dana 300 tech ?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So I’ve had a few instances in the past week where my rear drive has popped out of gear especially on down hills in low range. This case has done that occasionally but it seems to have changed a little now? Any chances I’ve just got a situation where I need to get something back into tolerance with a shim or something? I don’t remember a bunch of shims in there

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I would look at the shift rods and the detent spring and ball bearing that keeps the shift rail from moving easily. On twin stick setups some put in stiffer springs to keep them from popping out. I had an old CJ7 with a d300 that popped out and I used a bungee cord to pull on the shift lever till the end of the trip.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I hope the shifter is the issue! I do have a twin stick setup. I'll scan the interwebs for part # and such. THANKS

(hope you and the family are well--don't see you on here as much any more)

Coco

Yeah sounds to me like the detent springs are getting worn out. Possibly the detent balls as well. Really easy to fix.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Does it do it in four wheel drive or just in rear wheel drive low range? pretty common in rear wheel low. JB Conversions sells stiffer springs at least they used to. Stil will happen occasionally in my experience. I've pretty much given up and run four wheel drive only when I will be doing much steep down hill stuff. Ive never had it jump out in 4X4.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I made this goofy shifter 9 years ago. And it didn't have enough friction in the shifter to stay in gear on the rear output until I swapped in heavier detent springs and new unworn detent balls.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Does it do it in four wheel drive or just in rear wheel drive low range? pretty common in rear wheel low. JB Conversions sells stiffer springs at least they used to. Stil will happen occasionally in my experience. I've pretty much given up and run four wheel drive only when I will be doing much steep down hill stuff. Ive never had it jump out in 4X4.

It’s starting to happen in 4x4. It would occasionally happen if in low range rear axle only. When it happened before, it was mostly on VERY steep and long downhills