Dana 300 to SM465 adaptereringness

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I was wondering who if any of you are running a sm465 to dana 300. I am looking into doing the swap. I currently have a 205 behind my 465. Is the swap hard? If you are running this set up how so you like it? Is there any difference in which 300 I need to get or are they all equal? Any advice pro or con would be appreciated. Would it be better to do this or a gear swap in the axles. I will probably do both eventually. thanks

Caleb

whats it in? fullsize vehicle I would stay with the 205, in a Jeep I would go with the 300...I am pretty sure you will want the Jeep version 300 (not the scout)...also isn;t the 465 a 10 spline output? if so there wil need to be a spud shaft of some sort to adapt it (not a big deal though)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
It is going in a jeep with a one ton drivetrain. Is a dana 300 going to hold up to 38s. The 465 is a 10 spline out put so I will need to have spud shaft and adapter. I would like to use it for the lower gears. Plus there are more options for the 300 like 4t1 and so on. I have heard the output is the weak link.

Caleb

yeah, I think the outputs are the weak link on the D300 but both can be upgraded now to 32 spline...you can also get a kit from Novak that replaces your 10 spline output shaft with a 32 spline output...D300 should hold up to the abuse...ofcourse anything is breakable and the 205 is going to be less breakable but as you have mentioned the 205 has virtually no options right now for gearing...

so basically the two main advantages the 300 has over the 205 is gearing adn weighs less, the advantages the 205 has over the 300 is strength and 32 spline outputs (and inputs) are usually had in stock form...both cases are twinsticked very easily (especially when out of the vehicle)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Thanks My wife just bought me a twin stick for the 205, but I don't know if I want to put it on if I am going to put in a 300. What is thedifference in yoke size between the 2. Do you know how much the adapter from novak is? I heard the 2 wheel drive 465 has 32 splines already. Mine is 4 though.