Dana 44 gear strength?

Trate D

I have a reverse cut Dana 44 in the front of my Comanche. I currently have 37's and 4.56's, let's just say it leaves a little to be desired....

My question is who has ran lower gears and what was your opinion? I've heard they are weak cause the pinion but anyone have real world experience? Drivetrain is a still a 4.0 motor and 700r4 trans so over powering is not a problem.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think your shafts or U-joints will still be the weak link, although I haven't personally broken any 44 gear set.
You could always do the Jana 54 upgrade if you want stronger gears. It's a PITA to install, but you get D50 gears in your existing HP44 housing.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I broke a low pinion front 44 with 5.38’s and 36’s but that’s a little different. The pinion really does get a lot smaller after 4.56 IIRC

Trate D

I think your shafts or U-joints will still be the weak link, although I haven't personally broken any 44 gear set.
You could always do the Jana 54 upgrade if you want stronger gears. It's a PITA to install, but you get D50 gears in your existing HP44 housing.

I haven't had any axle/u-joint failures since going chromoly. But I wheel fairly conservative.

I have never heard of that mod. It seems pretty cool but yes a pain.

Trate D

I broke a low pinion front 44 with 5.38’s and 36’s but that’s a little different. The pinion really does get a lot smaller after 4.56 IIRC

In about 9 years with this rig I have only broke one set of gears. My rear 44 let go but I was knew I was overdoing it that time.

My plan is to one ton the rear and covert my front 6 lug back to 8 lug. But with the added weight from the new rear end it would be nice to gear lower than 4.56's.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
The problem I see is that going to 4.88’s or maybe even 5.13’s won’t be that significant of a difference IMO so you’d want to jump to 5.38’s with the tiny pinion. I think would be $ ahead to jump to a Super60 or even just a regular old super duty 60. I know you don’t have a throttle-heavy driving style but yeah

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Last buggy had a lp d44 w/ 5.13 gears on 38s (4.0L, auto, atlas 4.3:1). Spent a ton on on upgraded axle shafts and ctm joints but I never had a ring and pinion issue. But I also made sure to never push hard when bound up. Vehicle weight, power, and driving style are big variables.

Trate D

The problem I see is that going to 4.88’s or maybe even 5.13’s won’t be that significant of a difference IMO so you’d want to jump to 5.38’s with the tiny pinion. I think would be $ ahead to jump to a Super60 or even just a regular old super duty 60. I know you don’t have a throttle-heavy driving style but yeah

I would love to go that route, but I just changed the whole front end. I plan on just to keep running the front angle till it can't hang anymore.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
It's also worth noting that the high pinion in the front is going to be stronger than a low pinion because the reverse cut gears will be driving on the proper side of the teeth.

Trate D

It's also worth noting that the high pinion in the front is going to be stronger than a low pinion because the reverse cut gears will be driving on the proper side of the teeth.

This was my thought as well. Thinking with the added benefit of high pinion would hopefully make up for the smaller pinion.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Nobody ever said a dana 44 was fine. Just 60 it. I started braking 44 stuff in a samurai powered rig. Herzog broke euther the ball jojnt or u joint on eagles nest on his 44. You will always be windering when will it. But also being a previous xj owner I also realize you dont have a frame and your pushing the chassis of your rig too far already

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Nobody ever said a dana 44 was fine. Just 60 it. I started braking 44 stuff in a samurai powered rig. Herzog broke euther the ball jojnt or u joint on eagles nest on his 44. You will always be windering when will it. But also being a previous xj owner I also realize you dont have a frame and your pushing the chassis of your rig too far already

I never broke anything. You might be thinking of someone else :)