Dana 44 ring gear bolt size and spacer sleeves?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I installed a Detroit Locker in a buddys TJ rear Dana 44 (not a rubicon) yesterday. The bolts in his ring gear were 3/8" and the holes in the stock
Trac Loc Carrier were also sized to fit the 3/8" bolts. The holes in the brand new Detroit are large enough to fit a 7/16" bolt. It as far as I know just a standard Dana 44 model. Part #187SL16D. it bothered me but I put it together figuring it is just the way it is. This morning I find out spacers are available. productdetails.aspx. A little poking around on Pirate and other places mostly comes up with it really doesn't mater but I don't know. Im guessing they are making the lockers this way because apparently Rubicon ring gears use bigger bolts but to me it seems like the very few people swapping Detroits into those could drill rather than everyone else having too large holes. Anyone deal with this before.
What would you experts do? The spacers are $5.50 each so if it doesn't mater I'd rather not use them but if I do I will.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I agree, I would use the spacers of get a gear set with a ring gear that uses the 7/16 bolts. I don’t likes the idea of it being able to loosen up or shift on the bolts. We are only talking about a 1/16” but it would be a horrible day to have that fail.