dana 44 width

Scout 44 width is somewhere around 58.5" wms-wms. I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure. Either way, its narrower than stock XJ 60.5" width and will need spacers to even out. Also, the bolt pattern is 5x5.5, so you'll have to consider this when trying to match the front. You'll need to match the gears as well. BTW, if any of that info wrong, please correct me. :cool:

I would just look for an XJ D44 out of an '87 or '88 with the tow package; these are a direct bolt in. Or look for an 8.8 rear out of a '95 or newer Ford Exploder or Mountaineer. These axles are a little stronger than D44s, run 31 spline shafts, 4.10s, and had rear disc brakes from the factory. They measure 59.5" wms-wms, new spring pearches will need to be welded on as well as shock mounts. M.O.R.E sells a kit with everything you need to get the 8.8 under your rig. Ford 8.8s also sport the same bolt pattern as the XJ.

HTH.

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
Good info to know. If i decided to go with the scout axle could i just get some spacers and call it good? How much do spacers go for and is it a good idea to or not? How hard is it to find a 8.8? I have been looking around for some time now and going no where.

You can make just about anything work, but remember that the bolt patterns aren't gonna match your front. XJ bolt pattern is 5x4.5, Scouts are 5x5.5 lugs. So if you run the scout rear, you might as well do a Warn manual hub conversion on your D30 to change it to match the Scout 5x5.5. Either that, or get a HP D44 from an F-250, shorten it and run that.

And if you go as far as that (swaping axles), I'd just go find some Waggy D44s; those won't need to be shortened, just have the brackets welded on. But those will require new wheels because their bolt pattern is 6x5.5. This is what I'm planning to do.

Exploder 8.8s are pretty common, just make sure its the '95 or newer model. You'll be able to tell this because they'll have disc brakes stock. Also, if you can't find those, then look for the XJ D44.

Search for M.O.R.E and go to the website, they make wheel spacers for all kinds of applications.