DANA 80 front axle build

SWALLDOG

Because I'm using dana 60 shafts I can use a 60 inner axle seal. I made an adapter that the seal fits in that I can press on to the tube. I put a few stitch welds to hold it in place and then put rtv around it to make sure it seals. On a side note next time I do this I'll make the seal adapter wider so the seal is closer to the carrier. There is only about .250" Of sealing area on the outside of the seal the way it is now. I would have liked to have it more in the middle of the seal area on the shaft for next time.

SWALLDOG

I also made some more setup bearings for installing the ring and pinion. I already had some for the carrier but made some for the pinion. And yes these were new bearings that I made in to set up so the preload will be right. Haha. I think the pattern is about as good as it's going to get. Hope it doesn't blow up on me going down the freeway. Lol

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I love having setup bearings but mine are always off a tad... I should take a lesson from you and make some out of new timkens instead. :D

SWALLDOG

I love having setup bearings but mine are always off a tad... I should take a lesson from you and make some out of new timkens instead. :D

Yeah they make it nice for sure! My pinion preload felt a little off when I pressed the bearings on. Not enough that I wanted to change it. But I think it was due to the small bearing on the pinion for my setup bearing was a different brand, not timken, so I think that was it.

SWALLDOG

One thing that I never did when I first built this front end was put in ABS sensors. So I wanted to do that now also. Not that I love abs or anything but if I have it I want it to work. And I don't like having the abs and brake light on. Also untill last year it would not pass safety with both lights on.

So I used the stock '01 dodge sensors. The smaller tone ring that is broken is the stock one out of the dodge unit bearing. The bigger one I cut out on the plasma. Both are 55 teeth. I made it slightly bigger. Machined the inside and pressed it on the machined spot on the hub. Then I machined the outside of the tone ring so it was true.

I made a little mount for the sensor out of some 0.375" plate. When I welded the mount on I put a 0.030" shim between the sensor and tone ring. It still pulled up a little so I had to get a big punch and hammer and give it a few taps to get the spacing right. Full disclosure I haven't driven it yet so I don't know if this works yet. Haha. I don't even know what the spacing is supposed to be but 0.030" is pretty standard for different types of tone rings so I hope it works. Lol.

SWALLDOG

Am I the only one that the pics aren't showing up for?

Glad they are working now for ya. Here is a link to the whole album in photo bucket.

I tried to upload them through rme but I have to resize them and they seems to hard on my phone. Lol. Or I just don't know how to do it. Haha.

SWALLDOG

Well that was a BUST! 20 miles in and I think I fried the pinion bearing. Not in 4 Wheel drive, just free spinning because of the drive flanges. Haven't taken it apart yet but I bet that's what happened. I was going to call wide open design and see if they do anything to help oil on there 80 fronts. Maybe add a big oil slinger like a 60 front or just over fill the axle.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I can't see your pics right now (photobucket blocked at work)...but you'll definitely need a pinion oil slinger. Since the ring gear is turning the wrong way to throw gear oil into the upper oil galleries, the slinger between the pinion head and inner bearing is the one to "pump" it up there and circulate through the pinion bearings.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
O dang! hopefully you didnt smoke your gears. I assume that was from street driving which is nothing like rock bounce where it only sees load for short burst, bouncy at that which probably bounces some oil up in there if not also overfilled.

SWALLDOG

I can't see your pics right now (photobucket blocked at work)...but you'll definitely need a pinion oil slinger. Since the ring gear is turning the wrong way to throw gear oil into the upper oil galleries, the slinger between the pinion head and inner bearing is the one to "pump" it up there and circulate through the pinion bearings.

Yeah I didn't even think about that, just ordered a 80 install kit and put it together. Not thinking that it never had a front application.
I wonder if I can modify a 60 one to fit or if I need to make a custom one with a bigger od.

SWALLDOG

O dang! hopefully you didnt smoke your gears. I assume that was from street driving which is nothing like rock bounce where it only sees load for short burst, bouncy at that which probably bounces some oil up in there if not also overfilled.

Yeah I hope so too. If I could just get away with changing he pinion bearings that would be awesome.
Yeah I took it down the road to get the emissions check on the truck. It was in 2wd but the drive flanges where making the front spin. It was when I jumped on 215 to head home it started to pull and lock up. Had to pull over on the side of the freeway and pull the drive flanges out. Lol.