Daytime running lights on tacoma

devilbikerdude

Hey, I have 2002 tacoma. It has day time running lights which i am not very fond of, i go through headlight bulbs quicker then i would like. Does any one know of how i might beable to disable the day time running lights? they turn on when i take my e-brake off and dont turn off till i shut the truck off. any advice will help, thankyou!

chans

Did someone put those in after market? Some 05' and newer have daytime running lights but it is only the blinker lights that stay on. When you press in the emergency brake button does the lights shut off then? If so find out where the light relay is tapped into the emergency brake wire and disconnect it. Here is how the factory lights are hooked up on the newer models.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/archive/topic/93275-1.html

Last edited:

Caleb

Did someone put those in after market? Some 05' and newer have daytime running lights but it is only the blinker lights that stay on. When you press in the emergency brake button does the lights shut off then? If so find out where the light relay is tapped into the emergency brake wire and disconnect it. Here is how the factory lights are hooked up on the newer models.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/archive/topic/93275-1.html
I'm pretty most Tacomas have the daytime running lights. My 03 has them as well.

chans

I'm pretty most Tacomas have the daytime running lights. My 03 has them as well.

That's odd. I don't remeber seeing any that had them and my 99 and my a couple of my friends 97, 98, 01, 03 models don't have them. But then again mine doesn't even have the gas light when the tank is low. Looking on TTORA it looks like if the truck was manufactured in Canada it has them because it is required there and they had to add a module.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
That's odd. I don't remeber seeing any that had them and my 99 and my a couple of my friends 97, 98, 01, 03 models don't have them. But then again mine doesn't even have the gas light when the tank is low. Looking on TTORA it looks like if the truck was manufactured in Canada it has them because it is required there and they had to add a module.

Where are you seeing that it was manufactured in Canada?? I'm pretty sure all 96-04' Tacomas were produced at NUMMI in SoCal. FWIW my 04' has the daytime lights too. I would suspect it became an option with the major resdesign in 01. May have been standard by 03/04 as I can't say I've seen an 04' without it.

EDIT: it was in deed a factory option, not sure what year it became an option but by 04' it was produced both ways according to the FSM

Last edited:

chans

Where are you seeing that it was manufactured in Canada?? I'm pretty sure all 96-04' Tacomas were produced at NUMMI in SoCal. FWIW my 04' has the daytime lights too. I would suspect it became an option with the major resdesign in 01. May have been standard by 03/04 as I can't say I've seen an 04' without it.

I just noticed a couple post mentioning Canada like this one. http://www.ttora.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1242447&postcount=3
I know for a while there were Tacomas made in Canada for the US and they say that on the sticker under the hood. Mine was made in Socal unfortunately since they are having the rust problems with the frames made by Dana for the 95.5 - 2000 models instead of the Japanese frames like the rest get.

rollover

If it was made in the USA the vin starts with the number 1. J is for Japan, and I belive 2 is Canada, 3 Mexico most all NADA books have it listed in the front pages.

Last edited:

rollover

Later model years - most common area's of VIN:

•Left instrumentation/dash plate by window
•Drivers door or post
•Firewall
How to Decode a VIN
When decoded, the VIN tells the country and year of manufacture; make, model and serial number; assembly plant; and in some cases it even identifies equipment specifications.

The system goes something like this: sequence for characters is first A to Z, then 1 to 9, and last 0. The letters "I", "O" and "Q" are typically omitted from system.

The vehicle identification number is divided into four parts:

•World Manufacturer's Identification (WMI - three characters)
•Vehicle Description Section (VDS - five characters)
•The VIN Accuracy Check Digit
•Vehicle Identification Section (VIS - eight characters)
World Manufacturer’s Identification (WMI)
The first character in the WMI sequence represents the country where the vehicle was manufactured. Countries like the United States (1 or 4), Canada (2) and Mexico (3) are represented by numbers while other countries such as Germany (W), Italy (Z) and Japan (J) are represented by letters.

The second character refers to the manufacturer. The characters can be either letters or numbers. For example: Jaguar (A), Dodge (B), Chrysler (C), Jeep (J), Buick (4), Cadillac (6) or Saturn (8).

The third character represents the vehicle type or manufacturing division.

Vehicle Description Section (VDS) and Check Digit
The vehicle description section consists of five characters (the 4th to 8th characters) which identify everything from the body style, engine type, and braking system to model, series, restraint system, etc. The 9th character is a VIN accuracy check digit which verifies the previous VIN numbers. It is determined by carrying out a mathematical computation developed by the Department of Transportation (DOT).

Vehicle Identification Section (VIS)
The vehicle identification section includes the last eight characters in the VIN number. The numbers identify the model year (10th character) and the assembly plant for the vehicle (11th character). A number or letter may represent the model year. For example: 1998 (W), 2000 (Y), 2007 (7) or 2008 (8).

The 12th to 17th characters are the actual serial number of the vehicle—these last 6 digits make the vehicle unique (think of DNA). It can also help to identify whether the vehicle was the first, the hundredth, or the last vehicle off the manufacturer’s assembly line. This is valuable information for collectors.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped

My 97 also doesn't have daytime running lights or a gas light. (and I like it that way) :hickey:

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I think that tacoma is too skinny to have running lites mounted on him... but maybe if you put a funny hat on him with a flashlite it will reflect on his glasses....