DCRC 2022 is gonna be freaking awesomer--- if you want it to be. :D

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Pending more information, I'm posting this to get y'all excited for things to come, the possibility that the DCRC '22 could start looking more like the OSRC with its big turnout and well-attended vendors row? Does that titillate anyone? Does that rile anyone up for GOOD TIMES!?!?!?!? It kind of riles me up, and here's why:

-- Delta's course is awesome, and I can't given enough thanks to Craig Stumph and Kevin Morris, and the whole crew down there for building, maintaining, and promoting that whole deal. How cool is it to come hang out with all your friends and kind of do whatever with the blessing of the county?? I think it's pretty awesome. DO YOU REMEMBER HOW AWESOME IT WAS!?!?!
-- Having an event where you can come out and kind of see what it's like to compete, like the original idea of OSRC was, was and still is such a GREAT IDEA!!! There can be courses for all comers, and we've seen it done! Stock class should be mellow, challenging, but you can drive home... all the way up to the en-vogue super bitchin' trail buggies everyone's got these days. But it should and could be fun, no pressure, people hanging out and having a good time. The framework is there!!
-- As a showcase for the Utah scene, and with a fairly centralish location, Delta offers a rare accessible venue for companies to come out and be seen without a huge investment for travel and time. I know it's expensive to come to these things, but the kind of access you can have to interested people, and the kind of opportunity all of us gearheads get to meet and greet local companies too, is worth it IN MY OPINON. And that's not worth much, but hey-- long term support of the sport pays dividends for years. If you have a company, please consider coming down, hanging out. and seeing how your stuff is getting used. You never know what kind of people need your parts, services, advice, etc etc etc. DO YOU REMEMBER ALL THE VENDORS!?!?!?! omg it was so awesome
-- again, the atmosphere back when was festive! People having fun!! In recent years OSRC had gotten a little competitive, a little serious, for MY tastes, maybe y'all disagree, maybe you DON'T. Personally, I liked it best when it was a good time with some rock crawling, some shenanigans, and above all a lot of fun. I met a ton of you that know me AT Delta first, and I think that's perfect. What a great time that was every year. LET"S DO THAT SOME MORE!!

ANyway I would really like to see if we can't all get back to our roots a little and make DCRC 2022 super awesome and get some UT offroad businesses back there this year. If you're a business, consider coming down! If you're a person, consider coming down! It's a hoot!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Make OSRC Stumph again.
No dig against Rich but It's been too serious lately.
See and I think it got serious a couple years before Rich took over. The stock class was SIGNIFICANTLY more serious than WERock Sportsman C for sure.

But that’s neither here nor there. I’m hopeful for the future

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
This event is definitely supposed to be fun only. Guys who treated it like werock points competitions and not an exhibition event were the problem. It was never supposed to have rules confirming to other competition series...(more open rules brings more people into the sport- and too tight of rules kills it) Anyone who complained is definitely against the spirit of it.

If you come out prepared to have a good time and party with friends regardless of who ends up on the steps you WILL have a great time. :p

N-Smooth

This event is definitely supposed to be fun only. Guys who treated it like werock points competitions and not an exhibition event were the problem. It was never supposed to have rules confirming to other competition series...(more open rules brings more people into the sport- and too tight of rules kills it) Anyone who complained is definitely against the spirit of it.

If you come out prepared to have a good time and party with friends regardless of who ends up on the steps you WILL have a great time. :p
The weird thing is all the people that say this have never competed in WERock.

The OSRC rule book and tech inspection are undeniably more strict than WERock. I’m just sayin’ 🤷🏼‍♂️
I agree if people come out to have fun with friends and try their best they always have a good time. Getting people hooked on rock crawling competitions is my favorite. Just ask @kmboren

85CUCVKRAWLER

Personally, they need to make classes AND courses for regular people bringing regular stuff. I think thats the only way you are going to get normal people there to try stuff out.

Even me, im pretty well built for a full bodied rig and i have a decade of experience, but there was one course i would not do last year. Because it was a straight climb up, then turn 90 right on the top of the obstacle with nothing on either side of the ridge. Thats roll over city for my set up. But, the real problem is, thats the same course everyone has to run. TJ on coilovers, tube buggy on 40s, JK on 33's all have to do that course. Which, i felt is kindof bullshit. Im out here in leaf springs with all my body panels and im competing in the same class and same courses as a tubed out rig. Which, although im out there to have fun, it takes away alot of the fun when i have to not do a course due to safety concerns.

The WE rock people are all out there having fun, for sure. But if the goal is to attract new people, regular people, wheeling their daily driver AS WELL AS the tube buggies, then the goal has totally failed in my opinion. Pretty sure last year i had the most original body panels out of anyone competing. Which is an indication of who is out there. the JK/JL is the most popular rig, especially in UT, so whats the plan to get these guys there to compete and have fun?

Oh, and also, its not super fun when teammates are screaming at each other about losing a point or two. Divorcing this event from WE rock i think would be a gigantic step in the right direction. But we also need classes and courses for the regular people.

Ill be there again this year and ill have a blast again, but its frustrating.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member

The OSRC rule book and tech inspection are undeniably more strict than WERock. I’m just sayin’ 🤷🏼‍♂️
I agree if people come out to have fun with friends and try their best they always have a good time. Getting people hooked on rock crawling competitions is my favorite. Just ask @kmboren
I competed in werock and I say this.

I'll bet I've got the original rules saved from the old osrc and I can guarantee it was more low key than what it is at werock.

I'm not saying don't try to win. Competition is fun. As someone who races 14+ times a year for the last 9 years- I understand competition, but ultimately Delta isn't a points event and there's not real money on the line (aside from building a rig and potential damage).

I'm not saying don't be competitive I'm not saying don't try bonus lines. I'm saying don't be complaining nitpicky at an event where literally everyone is a volunteer that's working it.

We're literally adults competing for $35 plastic trophies. It's supposed to be fun and if not you're doing it wrong.

Last edited:

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous

Yea. Now I hate you for it. I lost my XJ because of it. 🤪

N-Smooth

Personally, they need to make classes AND courses for regular people bringing regular stuff. I think thats the only way you are going to get normal people there to try stuff out.

Even me, im pretty well built for a full bodied rig and i have a decade of experience, but there was one course i would not do last year. Because it was a straight climb up, then turn 90 right on the top of the obstacle with nothing on either side of the ridge. Thats roll over city for my set up. But, the real problem is, thats the same course everyone has to run. TJ on coilovers, tube buggy on 40s, JK on 33's all have to do that course. Which, i felt is kindof bullshit. Im out here in leaf springs with all my body panels and im competing in the same class and same courses as a tubed out rig. Which, although im out there to have fun, it takes away alot of the fun when i have to not do a course due to safety concerns.

The WE rock people are all out there having fun, for sure. But if the goal is to attract new people, regular people, wheeling their daily driver AS WELL AS the tube buggies, then the goal has totally failed in my opinion. Pretty sure last year i had the most original body panels out of anyone competing. Which is an indication of who is out there. the JK/JL is the most popular rig, especially in UT, so whats the plan to get these guys there to compete and have fun?

Oh, and also, its not super fun when teammates are screaming at each other about losing a point or two. Divorcing this event from WE rock i think would be a gigantic step in the right direction. But we also need classes and courses for the regular people.

Yeah we definitely need more terrain out there to be able to cater to everyone. To be able to have good terrain for the large variety of rigs with the limited amount of space is hard. I’m sure everybody can understand that.

There’s always been an open invitation to have a JK class but I haven’t seen a JK class since ‘14 or ‘15 because they just don’t come out. It’s also hard to have courses that make everybody happy. There could be JK guys out there that want to do the gnarliest stuff and scratch up their rigs and then there are guys that want to go over the teeter totter and call it a day. I can certainly see the struggle promoters deal with when it comes to that.

N-Smooth

I competed in werock and I say this.

I'll bet I've got the original rules saved from the old osrc and I can guarantee it was more low key than what it is at werock.

I'm not saying don't try to win. Competition is fun. As someone who races 14+ times a year for the last 9 years- I understand competition, but ultimately Delta isn't a points event and there's not real money on the line (aside from building a rig and potential damage).

I'm not saying don't be competitive I'm not saying don't try bonus lines. I'm saying don't be complaining nitpicky at an event where literally everyone is a volunteer that's working it.

We're literally adults competing for $35 plastic trophies. It's supposed to be fun and if not you're doing it wrong.
I really hate to keep kicking this can down the road because I’m clearly not going to change your mind but when’s the last time you competed in OSRC or WERock, like ‘14? Your experience could be entirely different from somebody that’s been competing for the last 8 years (me)

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous

Well said. It would be nice for the true stock guys if there is a less likely chance of a rollover. I think some courses could be the same but the ones that are more risky could be changed or altered or a different location. I do think there is enough real-estate to make it happen. There were a couple of sections that were not utilized last year.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I really hate to keep kicking this can down the road because I’m clearly not going to change your mind but when’s the last time you competed in OSRC or WERock, like ‘14? Your experience could be entirely different from somebody that’s been competing for the last 8 years (me)

Last time I competed in werock yeah about that. But I've spectated certainly since then.
OSRC -much more recently in my own rig- then as a spotter or often a judge: 2020
I've only missed one year since it's inception because my wife was third trimester pregnant.

I'd invite you to have a conversation with Craig about why he created osrc in the first place.
Spoiler: It's was because urock and (subsequently werock) became too serious and too expensive for his taste (and many others).

I saw first hand Karens being rude to judges in recent years. Because I was one.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'm not trying to be rude and I've got no problems with you Nate. You're a good driver and a fun guy to be around. I just think somewhere along the line- competition for some people lost its way and I think Tacoma is saying he'd like to see a return to fun!

Homefryy

Well said. It would be nice for the true stock guys if there is a less likely chance of a rollover. I think some courses could be the same but the ones that are more risky could be changed or altered or a different location. I do think there is enough real-estate to make it happen. There were a couple of sections that were not utilized last year.

I would love it if they had a "casual" class with close to zero rollover risk and were able to drop the requirements for a cage and harness for that class so I could compete in my XJ. I feel like that would bring in a lot of new people but maybe it would just be really boring.

On an unrelated note, I still haven't been able to bring myself to sell the XJ. Its looking more and more like I'm going to hang on to it at least until I really need some money or driveway space.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I would love it if they had a "casual" class with close to zero rollover risk and were able to drop the requirements for a cage and harness for that class so I could compete in my XJ. I feel like that would bring in a lot of new people but maybe it would just be really boring.
I have said this in the past, but got told there wasn't enough interest.

N-Smooth

I have said this in the past, but got told there wasn't enough interest.
Rich always said if there are 4 people interested in making said class, it could happen but then the people didn’t make it happen 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yup, there’s a very real risk that it would be boring. I almost prefer the idea of letting people that want to dip their toes in just drive my Jeep on a course with an experienced spotter. Yeah it’s not the same as driving their own rig but there has to be some way to maintain a realistic lack of liability as well.