DCRC 2022 is gonna be freaking awesomer--- if you want it to be. :D

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
So this kind of got going and I see a lot of you saying what I was getting at about the original intent of OSRC.

As to stock classes being boring, I've never heard that from the drivers, for whom the event exists to begin with. I agree that stock classes aren't generally exciting to watch, but at an introductory event, should that even remotely be the point? I'd say not. It's meant to be a fun event, try out competing, etc etc

I do like Nate's idea of noob drivers on a course with experienced spotters, rhat would be a hoot. I k ow I've had a great time driving Cody Waggoner's bitchin' JHF buggy at a couple events.

And here's the really great thing about the Delta venue: you can make other, harder courses for the exciting stuff. And if that's not enough, go to WERock or Supercrawl events.

Anyway, all .really saying is that I really liked the fun, involved atmosphere years back, and I intend no disrespect of any promoter, participant, or competitor. I just didn't like how serious and competitive that event had gotten. ✌

85CUCVKRAWLER

So this kind of got going and I see a lot of you saying what I was getting at about the original intent of OSRC.

As to stock classes being boring, I've never heard that from the drivers, for whom the event exists to begin with. I agree that stock classes aren't generally exciting to watch, but at an introductory event, should that even remotely be the point? I'd say not. It's meant to be a fun event, try out competing, etc etc

I do like Nate's idea of noob drivers on a course with experienced spotters, rhat would be a hoot. I k ow I've had a great time driving Cody Waggoner's bitchin' JHF buggy at a couple events.

And here's the really great thing about the Delta venue: you can make other, harder courses for the exciting stuff. And if that's not enough, go to WERock or Supercrawl events.

Anyway, all .really saying is that I really liked the fun, involved atmosphere years back, and I intend no disrespect of any promoter, participant, or competitor. I just didn't like how serious and competitive that event had gotten. ✌

I really, really dont understand this "oh a stock or JK class would be boring." Boring for who? Its not boring for the driver. Its not boring for the drivers family he brought along. Its not boring for the other people in that same class. I wouldnt find it boring. I love watching new people or people with sotkc rigs beat the piss out of their rig. Because its fun!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I love watching new people or people with sotkc rigs beat the piss out of their rig. Because its fun!
the problem is not everybody wants to beat the piss out of their rig. A stock class already exists and it’s great. The class we’ve been discussing is a Very Stock Class or Stock AF class (as named by @Johnny Quest ) and it would be really easy obstacles. Well that could bore some people in order to cater to others that are concerned about body damage etc. It’s a difficult balance but most important the people have to actually sign up for it

85CUCVKRAWLER

the problem is not everybody wants to beat the piss out of their rig. A stock class already exists and it’s great. The class we’ve been discussing is a Very Stock Class or Stock AF class (as named by @Johnny Quest ) and it would be really easy obstacles. Well that could bore some people in order to cater to others that are concerned about body damage etc. It’s a difficult balance but most important the people have to actually sign up for it

Why not just have a "street" class? Base it on tire size and has to be registered and insured. So like a 33" class, 35" class etc. Then throw in a few more things to keep the big dogs out. Like has to to have stock suspension or something. Boom. I think you could get a bunch of people off the street to compete if you did that.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Drawing a line between Stock vs Stock AF could really bring more people in. Your typical Utah trail rig is a lot different in 2022 than they were in 2010. How many people know someone in a daily driver JLUR with at least a 37" tire? But they wont compete because its still too shiny, and the bank wouldnt like someone competing in their Jeep.

Maybe "Stock AF" aka "Street Stock" has its own courses, with slightly wider gates. Maybe stock AF is a self-judged class with longer times, so you dont have the "pin it to win it" mentality as the clock winds down. and maybe stock class has no entry fees, but it also has no payouts. maybe its simple enough that a spotter wouldnt be needed to navigate the course in a somewhat timely manner. no, it wouldnt be an exciting spectator class, but it would be a great way for some fresh blood to get into the sport in a low pressure atmosphere. Tech: bolt ons only; no long arms, no axle swaps, must be registered, no extra safety (cage/harnesses) needed. still needs a fire extinguisher though. or hell, allow whatever modifications they want, since its super laid back.

Then, the traditional "Stock" class can be bumped up a bit, maybe its a "trail" class or something, maybe its in between what Stock and Legends used to be, idk. Where you're more OK with some crinkled body panels, you know that youre probably going to scrape your paint, and maybe break some ujoints, but you probably wont end up on your lid or on fire. A lot of Utah trail rigs are on a bigger tire these days, so maybe the max tire size is bumped to 39s? idk. I'm just throwing stuff out there. Maybe this a peer-judged class, meaning you judge the other competitors in your group, and they judge you; this is usuayl what ends up happening in the past, and it works out great, as long as everyone is on the same page. Tech: must retain stock style suspension, but long arms and axle swaps are ok. Must have all body panels, but fenders can be trimmed; doors can be removed. typical safety stuff needed.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Drawing a line between Stock vs Stock AF could really bring more people in. Your typical Utah trail rig is a lot different in 2022 than they were in 2010. How many people know someone in a daily driver JLUR with at least a 37" tire? But they wont compete because its still too shiny, and the bank wouldnt like someone competing in their Jeep.

Maybe "Stock AF" aka "Street Stock" has its own courses, with slightly wider gates. Maybe stock AF is a self-judged class with longer times, so you dont have the "pin it to win it" mentality as the clock winds down. and maybe stock class has no entry fees, but it also has no payouts. maybe its simple enough that a spotter wouldnt be needed to navigate the course in a somewhat timely manner. no, it wouldnt be an exciting spectator class, but it would be a great way for some fresh blood to get into the sport in a low pressure atmosphere. Tech: bolt ons only; no long arms, no axle swaps, must be registered, no extra safety (cage/harnesses) needed. still needs a fire extinguisher though. or hell, allow whatever modifications they want, since its super laid back.

Then, the traditional "Stock" class can be bumped up a bit, maybe its a "trail" class or something, maybe its in between what Stock and Legends used to be, idk. Where you're more OK with some crinkled body panels, you know that youre probably going to scrape your paint, and maybe break some ujoints, but you probably wont end up on your lid or on fire. A lot of Utah trail rigs are on a bigger tire these days, so maybe the max tire size is bumped to 39s? idk. I'm just throwing stuff out there. Maybe this a peer-judged class, meaning you judge the other competitors in your group, and they judge you; this is usuayl what ends up happening in the past, and it works out great, as long as everyone is on the same page. Tech: must retain stock style suspension, but long arms and axle swaps are ok. Must have all body panels, but fenders can be trimmed; doors can be removed. typical safety stuff needed.
Almost a sign up for level of damage. Interesting. I like it. If the goal is to get more people involved this has legs.

Maybe something similar to the trail ratings?

Just trying to work toward progress and a fun time!

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Almost a sign up for level of damage. Interesting. I like it. If the goal is to get more people involved this has legs.

Maybe something similar to the trail ratings?

Just trying to work toward progress and a fun time!

yea something like that. more risk, more reward. less risk, less reward.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Another thing to keep on mind, Is all of these different classes and courses require more volunteers. In the years past they cant get enough judges to even run the 3 main classes effectively. So if everyone wants these extra classes you better be talking to your buddies and getting them to volunteer to come out to judge

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
thats why i suggested "self-judging or peer judging for Stock and Stock AF. The last couple of years, our groups in Stock have been peer-judged, as in our competitors within our group ran the timers and counted cones, and honestly it works great 98% of the time. My only concern is that each is calling the cones the same way. Which can be easily remedied by a drivers meeting.

as far as stock AF, maybe thats just a saturday thing, since thats the bigger attendance day.

85CUCVKRAWLER

Another thing to keep on mind, Is all of these different classes and courses require more volunteers. In the years past they cant get enough judges to even run the 3 main classes effectively. So if everyone wants these extra classes you better be talking to your buddies and getting them to volunteer to come out to judge
I was in sportsman's C+ last year and all of the volunteering was done by each team judging the people behind them.

N-Smooth

I was in sportsman's C+ last year and all of the volunteering was done by each team judging the people behind them.
Yeah it's not supposed to be that way. That's typically the number one complaint from competitors- whether it's that they hate having to judge or that they felt they weren't judged fairly by their competitor. Volunteers really make the events successful.

N-Smooth

Well it doesn't get more official than this. I'd like to thank Shane and Greg for the support!

1648832760150.png

We've got some awesome things coming down the pipeline as far as sponsors and the vendor side of things go. I don't think it's a big secret that it takes a ton of work to put on an event like this :rofl: but I really feel like a lot of stuff is falling right into place and I think the finished product is going to be killer!