Other Region Death Valley over Winter?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Anyone interested in a Death Valley trip over Christmas and New Year's? I've never been, want to check it off the list. We would have 2 weeks, but probably spend around 9-10 days for this trip. Somewhere around Dec 21st to Jan 4th.

We should have enough time to check out other nearby attractions, Mojave Nat Perserve, Yosemite is 4.5 hrs away.

Weather in Death Valley is nice in the winter, 60*'s in the day, 40's at night. Yosemite is a bit cooler, but still 40's in the day and high 20's at night.

This would basically be our Winter vacation trip, but there will be plenty of driving, offroad exploring, camping, etc. I don't think I'd want more than 6 vehicles along, if there's that many interested parties. I plan on hitting the harder offroad trails, so a built and reliable 4x4 is required. Having a 2M radio would be best for communicating. You'd need to be self-sufficient, food, camping gear, etc.

I don't know Death Valley at all, so this isn't a guided tour... we'll be discovering it together!

Anyone interested? I realize the timing isn't ideal for those with kids, but that's what we have available... and all the more reason to be out enjoying these areas, as they should be pretty quiet.

Bart

This sounds intriguing for sure. I couldn't commit to 2 weeks, or even before Christmas, but if there's an itinerary I could meet up on the 26th or 27th.

MOODY

Bald Guy
Interested for sure. Last time I was there was over New Years when my daughter was 6 months old. It was a little colder than 40, I believe the low one night was 26*.
Any specific routes you want to drive?

Greg

Admin
Interested for sure. Last time I was there was over New Years when my daughter was 6 months old. It was a little colder than 40, I believe the low one night was 26*.
Any specific routes you want to drive?

I want to see as much of Death Valley as I can, Titus Canyon Road is high on the list. I have a book on Death Valley I'm reading now, trying to get to know the area and try to make a plan.

Bart

I had to pull up the story I wrote for the old U4WDA magazine back in 07 about my last last trip to DV. It hit the high teens one night and was in the mid 20s another night. I have a much better bad now days.

Greg

Admin
I have always wanted to do the Mojave Road. This year is a no-go for me for sure though. Greg is officially #OAF with a Gladiator and OUT trailer.

That one is on the list, too.... if we have the time.

I like exploring new places and car camping, just as I always have. :p

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Next year? When I lived in LA we used to take our winter Motorcycle ride up to Death Valley. It's a beautiful place!

Now, for Mojave road - I'll be in my Van next winter and will be out that way towards the end of December. Mojave road is on my list. Along with RimRocker and Cottonwood Canyon Road (the one in Grand Staircase-Escalante).

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Its a great area to explore. We were just out there in Nov, spent most of a week at Ballarat. Got rattled by a few earthquakes as well. I'm interested if we plan this in the future. Maybe my scrambler will be reliable enough to take it versus the TJ. There are some harder trails, but what I've seen very few "extremely difficult" trails. The big earthquake from this summer did rearrange some of the boulders on various trails.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We are going to be near by (Pahrump, Nv) in early spring. We will have a dog with us, so our options are pretty limited. Is it worth the drive in? We could easily add 1 day to our trip to accommodate seeing Death Valley. What would be the must do's?

Homefryy

Funny that you updated this thread (and aren't going). Saturday my wife and I decided that we are going to head for Death Valley Dec. 26th thru New Years Day. We have never been so if anybody has any suggestions on sites to see, roads to drive or places to camp I would love to hear them. We will have our dog with us which will complicate things a bit but it sounds like we just won't be able to do any hikes with her.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I have been to Death Valley 26 times over the last 50 years and I urge everyone that can to make this trip. The high spots for me are: Titus Canyon, Trail Canyon, Green Water Canyon (if still open), Goler Gulch (Manson Family), Tea kettle Junction and The Race Track, Saline Valley Lower Springs (Manson Family), Old Schwab and take the trail east over the mountains if still open, Furnace Creek store, Stove Pipe Wells cabins, and camping, and Dumont Dunes plus the ones to the north and east of saline valley.

Funny that you updated this thread (and aren't going). Saturday my wife and I decided that we are going to head for Death Valley Dec. 26th thru New Years Day. We have never been so if anybody has any suggestions on sites to see, roads to drive or places to camp I would love to hear them. We will have our dog with us which will complicate things a bit but it sounds like we just won't be able to do any hikes with her.

Greg

Admin
Well, unless the US/Mexico border opens and we CAN go to Baja, I think we will be attempting Death Valley over Thanksgiving. I want to hit up the Alabama Hills and explore Owen's Valley, just further North of Death Valley.

Not expecting crazy trails, so we'll probably be on the F150 with the adventure trailer. I'd like to setup camp somewhere new each night, unless we feel the need to stay in one spot for 2 nights. It will be a lot of packing and moving, probably cover a lot of ground in just over a weeks time.

Anyone interested?