Death Wobble.......After Car Wash

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
So let me begin by saying I know how to use google and I know tracking down death wobble is a beast. With that said let me tell you my story of how I acquired death wobble. So the Jeep has been running excellent the last few years other than crappy brakes after the v8 swap. It rides smooth and have not had problems for years. So since the weather "was" nice a few weeks ago I took Culpepper to the Car wash and just swiped the credit card machine so I could really clean it up. I sat there washing for probably 15 minutes really getting under fenders and any place dirt and mud could hide. I sprayed down all my linkage, axle housing, shocks etc, you name it it got hit with the wand. Anyway, I leave the Car wash thinking I did a great job, I pull out and hit the road, not even 100 yards from the car wash I hit the smallest bump in the road and the damn Jeep about fell apart. I had to limp home on the side of the road because I could not go over 20 mph without hitting any uneven pavement and sending the Jeep into a shaky mess. I can tell that it is the right side of the Jeep, but that is about it. Everything looks normal and I have not taken the tires off to check anything but I wanted to jsut ask if any of you have ever heard of that type of thing. Could grease and build up really stop a faulty part from causing death wobble and then once it is cleaned up it rides like crap? Any guess as to what you would check first?

Thanks in advance guys, let me know what you think.

WILDHAIR225

I would have someone move the wheel back and forth checking tie rods, and then track bar, then jack it up and check ball joints, wheel bearings and steering stabilizer. I have no clue why it would start right after washing it that's just strange. After all that and everything looks good put hydro assist on it, if that won't fix it nothing will.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'd guess the wash job left some mud in a wheel and is causing a balance issue. But, as others have suggested, get some help and check for loose suspension/steering parts. And while I believe the comment was tongue in cheek, a ram assist may not be a bad addition, but it certainly won't "fix" anything.

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
I appreciate all the replies. I will begin at the Track Bar because that is the last place major work was done. And from there I will just work my way until I find the culprit.