Decent beginner DSLR camera?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been thinking about picking up a DSLR camera and was wondering if any RME'ers had some input of a good starter camera.

Up until now I've been a point & shoot kind of guy, but after looking at some of the photos the point & shoots have taken, the results were less than stunning, compared to the actual scenery. I'd really like a camera that would be good for traveling, landscapes and produce more professional looking photos.

I would like something that wasn't too expensive, easy to use and something that I could grow into and be happy with over time.

Any thoughts on where to start?

Dirty Harry

Harry Situations
I strongly believe that you can get as good of shots out of a quality point and shoot as a "beginner" DSLR. The lenses that come in most kits aren't any better than a point and shoot (sometimes worse), and good lenses are very expensive.

I shoot with a Canon 5D and 7D, but they are expensive, heavy, and don't just fit in the glove box. I would look at a good point and shoot that can shoot RAW, and get some software like Aperture, Lightroom, or Photoshop to optimize your photos. I have a Canon G11 that I use and I really like it, but the Canon S90 and Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 are other great options.

Just one man's recommendation...

Amy

Limited Supply Of Sanity
Greg look on KSL.com. There are a shit ton of good deals on cameras. :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I strongly believe that you can get as good of shots out of a quality point and shoot as a "beginner" DSLR. The lenses that come in most kits aren't any better than a point and shoot (sometimes worse), and good lenses are very expensive.

I shoot with a Canon 5D and 7D, but they are expensive, heavy, and don't just fit in the glove box. I would look at a good point and shoot that can shoot RAW, and get some software like Aperture, Lightroom, or Photoshop to optimize your photos. I have a Canon G11 that I use and I really like it, but the Canon S90 and Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 are other great options.

Thanks for weighing in Harry, I to appreciate your opinion, as you seem to have a little knowledge of taking quality pictures. ;)

We have a couple of nice point & shoots, my wife has a nice older Kodak and I have a Olympus. They do the job 95% of the time, but every now & again I will have a picture that should have been great, but just doesn't turn out as I had hoped. If a DSLR with a decent lens will get me there, that's what I'll do.

Greg look on KSL.com. There are a shit ton of good deals on cameras. :)

Good call Amy, there's a Canon Rebel XT on there for $300! That's tough to pass on.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Mandy shoots with a Rebel XT, and it works out well for her. The lenses make the hugest difference--her favorites are a Canon 50mm f1.8, and a Sigma 24-70 f2.8.

Amy

Limited Supply Of Sanity
Mandy shoots with a Rebel XT, and it works out well for her. The lenses make the hugest difference--her favorites are a Canon 50mm f1.8, and a Sigma 24-70 f2.8.

Yea, she has a really sweet camera! I was kinda drooling over it last night! lol:D

kkemp

I recently got a Canon Rebel T1i. I'm very happy with it. The lens that came with it is mediocre, as with all of the Rebel line, but I do have the option of replacing it with something better. I also, have a point and shoot. It's true that in many cases a point and shoot can take just as good looking of a photograph, but the point and shoot doesn't not have nearly the control of the DSLR. It's hard for me to justify spending the price of a DSLR on a point in shoot like the G11. To me, the advantage of a PnS is that you can throw it in your pocket, and if you lose it, you haven't lost much. If I lost a G11, I'd be in a really bad mood for a while.

Dirty Harry

Harry Situations

Those are great lenses Carl. The prime lenses in particular usually have great optics for the price.

I also, have a point and shoot. It's true that in many cases a point and shoot can take just as good looking of a photograph, but the point and shoot doesn't not have nearly the control of the DSLR.

That is a good point, but I guess that most of the people I see shooting DSLRs are usually using them in full auto mode, and which point the extra control doesn't really matter.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That is a good point, but I guess that most of the people I see shooting DSLRs are usually using them in full auto mode, and which point the extra control doesn't really matter.

I'm one of those people. Too impatient for photos. However, Amy seems to have her camera figured out. Everytime I pick it up it's on all kinds of custom settings and I have to turn the nobby back to green auto so I can take a photo. :rofl:

MOODY

Bald Guy
I've got a G11 and a D90 with the 18-200mm lens. I feel like I hit the sweet spot for photography for quite awhile.

The D90's are starting to come around used a lot more...

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
I'm one of those people. Too impatient for photos. However, Amy seems to have her camera figured out. Everytime I pick it up it's on all kinds of custom settings and I have to turn the nobby back to green auto so I can take a photo. :rofl:

Amy takes fantastic shots :)

sixstringsteve

x2. I've got a canon s95, and it puts out some really good pictures. You can still manually adjust focus, aperture, white balance, and more. not trying to talk you out of a DSLR, but I sure use mine more than my old SLR because I've always got it with me because it fits in my pocket.

Last edited: