Deckover and trailer tire question

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
996E12E7-4D52-4634-94C6-9581C78BA527.jpeg

So, I can’t see the tires AT ALL. Didn’t feel this tire go down. How do people monitor their tires with a deck over? Only thing I can come up with is a camera or something. This happened in the dark so I couldn’t see any smoke or anything. Didn’t even feel it go down. The tire behind would have then taken all the load and failed quickly I’d imagine. Should I never tow in the dark?

2022CBA7-4692-43A5-8CD2-7C039A2C9A91.jpeg

As you can see, I can't see any tires from my mirrors

Last edited:
^^ This. TPMS can monitor pressure. You can even get one that monitors temps in case the casing just starts separating under full pressure. I did this two years ago on a 5th wheel I could see the tires on - just wasn't paying attention until a passing motorist warned me.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My brother also runs a separate TPMS on his trailers and has had good luck with them.

I just risk it.

RockChucker

Touch your tires. Touch them a lot. Also, buy the GOOD tires. I recommend the Sailun 14 ply G rated for all the beef. The G rating reaches its max weight rating at 110 psi, but you can run them at E rating pressures (80psi) and they will still stay cool.
good to know. i've wondered what trailer tires are good. i'd say you'd know better than most

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
All my answers have been given. :( Since I'm too cheap to get TPMS, I do what @Hickey said, I touch all the tires every time I stop for gas. With your load behind sweaty betty, that should about match the refresh rate of the TPMS, so you should be good. :rofl::rofl:
That’s not funny.
I pulled our 30ft camper through a strong head wind the whole way to st George Friday. 4.6mpg 😭

xjtony

I adjust my backup camera so one of the projected lines is on the front edge of the trailer. My theory is that if a side goes flat I should be able to see the trailer drop on that side. Mine is a single axle though. This might not be too effective on a double axle

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

That's a reasonable price. Not sure if it would have the range for a trailer?

Touch your tires. Touch them a lot. Also, buy the GOOD tires. I recommend the Sailun 14 ply G rated for all the beef. The G rating reaches its max weight rating at 110 psi, but you can run them at E rating pressures (80psi) and they will still stay cool.

I'm a tire and chain molester. I also HATE cheap tires. They cost way more than decent tires.