deer in the swell?

Houndoc

I have regular season (rifle) tag for the Manti/Central Mountains unit, that includes of course the Manti mountain/Wasatch Plateau area but also the San Rafael Swell and the areas south of Price, basically down to Hanksville. Between Price and I-70 is the areas west of Hwy 6.

I have some ideas where to hunt off the Skyline Drive areas, but figure a majority of other hunters will be doing the same thing.

Anyone know of likely pockets of deer with not a lot of hunters in the San Rafael Swell or east slope of the Wasatch Plateau?

rholbrook

When I was out there over Labor Day I saw a bunch of tracks between Chimney Rock Rd and closer to Green River but never saw any deer. There is a road that goes all the way along there. We were off on trails but it pretty much paralleled the road. We saw cat tracks near a really cool canyon. I need to pull my gps track out to get the name of the canyon because its was big and full of trees. I think it was called Cottonwood Canyon but I may be wrong. Someone here will know it. Also saw some Dino prints in the sandstone. They weren't marked but they were very similar to the ones out on Warner Rd near St. George. My BIL hunts sheep in that area.

Houndoc

When I was out there over Labor Day I saw a bunch of tracks between Chimney Rock Rd and closer to Green River but never saw any deer. There is a road that goes all the way along there. We were off on trails but it pretty much paralleled the road. We saw cat tracks near a really cool canyon. I need to pull my gps track out to get the name of the canyon because its was big and full of trees. I think it was called Cottonwood Canyon but I may be wrong. Someone here will know it. Also saw some Dino prints in the sandstone. They weren't marked but they were very similar to the ones out on Warner Rd near St. George. My BIL hunts sheep in that area.

If you can confirm the name of the canyon, that would be great.

hedonist

Supporting Member
I saw a nice 4 point with another 4-5 does in Buckhorn.It was this time of year but last year. Ive seen them in Eagle canyon as well. Never big numbers in either area but would be fun to go cruise around anyway:)