#deleteFacebook

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I like this article and mostly agree with what the author has stated: https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/19/deletefacebook/

Think about it: any posts older than about a week are fodder for bots and bad actors. Posts from 2016? 2017? Why keep them? No one will read them, no one cares about them. Those “You and Joe have known each other for five years” auto-posts are fun but does anyone care? Ultimately you’ve created the largest dossier on yourself and you’ve done it freely, even gleefully. This dossier reflects your likes, your dislikes, your feelings, and political leanings. It includes clear pictures of your face from all angles, images of your pets and family, and details your travels. You are giving the world unfettered access to your life.

it also exposed the fundamental flaw of posting useful information on facebook. After a couple days it's GONE. I mean, it exists but nobody will read it. Unless they are 'stalking' you, so however you feel about that.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I had a eye-opening moment not long ago regarding FB, had someone use my own posts against me in a legal matter. They did their best to paint me in a bad light, basically calling me a liar because of photos and activities shared.... by me.... on my own FB account. :mad::mad::mad: They hired a private company to check all my online presence, it was scary what they found.

I use FB a lot unfortunately, but I'm more careful about what I share, who I share it with and make sure my account settings are private. It's hard to keep your social media presence small these days, crazy what everyone is willing to share without a second thought.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I had a eye-opening moment not long ago regarding FB, had someone use my own posts against me in a legal matter. They did their best to paint me in a bad light, basically calling me a liar because of photos and activities shared.... by me.... on my own FB account. :mad::mad::mad: They hired a private company to check all my online presence, it was scary what they found.

I use FB a lot unfortunately, but I'm more careful about what I share, who I share it with and make sure my account settings are private. It's hard to keep your social media presence small these days, crazy what everyone is willing to share without a second thought.

That's nuts, but not surprising.

The beauty of the plugin that he talks about in this article allows you to delete all your likes and posts in a specific year. I'm currently going nuclear on all my old content.

DAA

Face... what?

Oh!!! Facebook! I've heard of it. Never looked at it though. Or tweeter or instagram or any other pure social media. Literally, have never even visited any of the sites or looked at a single post or tweet or picture on any of them. Ever.

It started out as a desire not to exist on those platforms. But at some point - and this was years ago now already - I decided it would just be cool to live out the rest of my life without ever having touched any of that ever. So it's kind of a "thing" now, to not ever be soiled by any of it. Kind of like, back in the day I was the only person I knew that never once (to this day) saw a single minute of the Cosby show :D.

- DAA

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I don't post a lot of social media, but really my only rule for myself is not to post anything incriminating and I try not to post when I'm out of town (why let the world know when nobody is home?).

Other than that, I freely share my information. All the data mining that google does? Yes, please improve my experience! I have nothing to hide, and I don't care if I'm stalked or if people go looking for dirt on me. At some point something might happen that will change my feelings on it, but other than criminally being identity hacked or something, I don't really care. Maybe that's naive, but I've found it much easier and less stressful to not do anything that requires hiding or covering my tracks and I no longer have to invest any of my limited mental resources worrying about who might see what or try to use something against me. I have very little...approaching zero...paranoia about this kind of thing and generally refuse to spend any energy focusing on things around me I'm not able to impact, and instead focus on things that I can do and change.

rholbrook

Face... what?

Oh!!! Facebook! I've heard of it. Never looked at it though. Or tweeter or instagram or any other pure social media. Literally, have never even visited any of the sites or looked at a single post or tweet or picture on any of them. Ever.

It started out as a desire not to exist on those platforms. But at some point - and this was years ago now already - I decided it would just be cool to live out the rest of my life without ever having touched any of that ever. So it's kind of a "thing" now, to not ever be soiled by any of it. Kind of like, back in the day I was the only person I knew that never once (to this day) saw a single minute of the Cosby show :D.

- DAA

But your life is real therefore not needed to share how wonderful your life is.

I rarely look at FB unless my wife tells me to. I have never tweeted, I have snap chat but can count on one hand how many times I have done that but I do like Instagram and will post on that. More to make people think I'm a bad ass though.

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
I try not to post when I'm out of town (why let the world know when nobody is home?).

Never understood why people do this. We were in Mexico last year and my friends were posting pictures and asked why I hadn't, I just shook my head and told them that I had no desire to get robbed. All it takes is a scum bag to see that post, cruise past your spot and see your house is dark and it's game over.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Are forums not considered Social Media? It's easier to join a forum and stalk the posts of a user than it is to stalk a FB member with their privacy turned up no?

I remember having this discussion with Sixstringsteve (how are they doing anyway) about how he avoided social media and using his last name online for security and I shared a quick link with him that was easily searched using just information he had posted on forums.

I'm with Cody... I've been known to say and due stupid stuff... but nothing I cant live with the consequences I suppose?

FB has no shelf life, not that the content isn't there it's just not easily searchable like a forum... but that content is no less important to some after x time is it? If the arguement is yes why archive similar content in a forum... a large chunk of it too yields no future value?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Well, that extension doesn't work worth a crap for me. :( Social media is all forums, seems like a lot of people forget that. A whole generation is growing up thinking Facebook has always been around. Crazy times.

As for Facebook's content utility, that lack of useful Sirch renders it MUCH less functional for the user, turning it to the equivalent of a big box of RMPs... errrr uhmmm... anyway search functionality makes forums useful for future use. Lack of such renders them giant virtual landfills, digital garbage no one can use or get rid of.

IMHO, YMMV, etc etc and so on

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Even though Facebooks search functionality is relatively poor from an individual users prospective, the data they have in their databases is a GOLDMINE to analytics companies (and apparently hackers as evidenced by today's Facebook stock price). I'm not sure of how long the shelf life is though.

I am beginning to hate how hard we are being analyzed and marketed to now. I don't like that seemingly EVERY product I look at online ends up in a feed somewhere else.