#deleteFacebook

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Did mine last night...

I keep having the urge to go back to check on Moab stuff on pages like Moab friends for wheeling. So far I haven’t. I think I only have a week left before it deletes completely (grace period)

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've been focusing on deleting a lot of my FB content since this thread got started. Mostly just do it daily with the memories tool. Anything that could be seen as offensive or demeaning gets removed. I have also taken a few times to go back to a certain year, and review the entire year deleting anything not important, or potentially offensive. To my surprise, FB does not show you every post in the year. I have gone back to a certain year 5 times now, and continue to see posts that I have not previously seen.. and I see some posts that I swear I have deleted. Just thought I'd share.

My current FB posting levels have gone waaaaay down. I used to post daily.. Now it's less than weekly.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I'm still on Facebook a couple times a month, it's still useful to me for some things and there's a couple groups I check in on semi-reg. But I've stopped checking my feed daily, it was just pissing me off anyway and so I don't pay attention to that anymore and I don't miss it.

Now about my RME habit...

ID Bronco

Full disclosure....I have never had an account, and only looked at it a handfull of times. But last week we had an "episode" where my Son logged into his account on another kids phone, then later that kid did some messaging as my Son and it got ugly/gross pretty quick. After alot of turmoil for everyone involved I'm having him delete his account completely. He's 16, he's pissed about it, He is convinced he cannot possibly be a teenager without it because he won't know what's going on in the groups. Because I don't know what I'm missing (sarcastically) I don't really care. Now I'm learning how to fully delete an account (remember I don't know how to navigate it at all) So any pointers would be helpful.

D

Deleted member 12904

Full disclosure....I have never had an account, and only looked at it a handfull of times. But last week we had an "episode" where my Son logged into his account on another kids phone, then later that kid did some messaging as my Son and it got ugly/gross pretty quick. After alot of turmoil for everyone involved I'm having him delete his account completely. He's 16, he's pissed about it, He is convinced he cannot possibly be a teenager without it because he won't know what's going on in the groups. Because I don't know what I'm missing (sarcastically) I don't really care. Now I'm learning how to fully delete an account (remember I don't know how to navigate it at all) So any pointers would be helpful.

The biggest thing is one you delete it you cannot try to log back in for a extended period of time or it will stop the whole process. So if you're serious Change to password to something you son wont ever know so he cant log in.

Unfortunately I actually agree with your son to some level. I dont have facebook anymore but I cant imagine being a teenager without social media. Im 36 and still have issues not being on it with people texting me stuff like we are having a party this weekend here is your personal invite since you wont use facebook like a normal person. Social Media is how kids stay in contact. take it away and he definitely will miss out on some of what is modern social life in my opinion.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I don't post anything that I'm not willing to be accountable for, so I don't have anything to hide. Facebook/google/skynet can have all of my info.

I also agree that a kid without Facebook would be separated from his social circle. I think those of us that are older an less dependent on social media for our news and content, don't realize what a big part it is to the younger generation. I don't post much on FB, but I do use it to organize group events and I have friends that aren't on FB that always complain that they don't get invited to things. Well, its not my fault they choose to be disconnected, and I don't have time to individually invite everybody I know personally.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
+3 on not deleting kids account. He will make an account anyway and just hide it from you. Teach him the treacheries of the internet, such as this example, and allow him to learn from it.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I don't post anything that I'm not willing to be accountable for, so I don't have anything to hide. Facebook/google/skynet can have all of my info.

Even if the apps on your phone actively listen to you throughout the day? Conspiracy?

Jesser04

Even if the apps on your phone actively listen to you throughout the day? Conspiracy?
As crazy as this sounds I’ve had more than one instance that convinced that this is happening. We have to put our dog down in the next week so me and my wife were talking about what we were gonna do next thing she is on Pinterest and dog headstones are popping up on her feed.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
As crazy as this sounds I’ve had more than one instance that convinced that this is happening. We have to put our dog down in the next week so me and my wife were talking about what we were gonna do next thing she is on Pinterest and dog headstones are popping up on her feed.

It’s more clever than that. They know your contacts, so if you block audio/video on the app but have a conversation with coworkers or friends, their app picks it up and you all get those targeted ads.

Just wait till people find out that every time you open Instagram or Facebook while driving that data is being sent to your insurance via lexis nexus

There is a reason I removed google analytics from this forum. I don’t want people here being tracked.

ID Bronco

+3 on not deleting kids account. He will make an account anyway and just hide it from you. Teach him the treacheries of the internet, such as this example, and allow him to learn from it.

Oh if it were only that easy..... with four boys and a daughter I'm sure I've only hit the tip of the iceberg. I'm all for teaching correct principals and letting them govern themselves when it's affordable. They get many, many chances to do that. Some battles are worth fighting and some are worth letting them learn from their mistakes. Each parent has to decide which ones those are.

I am so glad I didn't have a smart phone and social media when I was a kid, I wouldn't want it all recorded and stored for later.

ID Bronco

I also agree that a kid without Facebook would be separated from his social circle. I think those of us that are older an less dependent on social media for our news and content, don't realize what a big part it is to the younger generation. I don't post much on FB, but I do use it to organize group events and I have friends that aren't on FB that always complain that they don't get invited to things. Well, its not my fault they choose to be disconnected, and I don't have time to individually invite everybody I know personally.

I wish that teenage kids were able to only post and message, and what ever else it can be called, what they were willing to be accountable for....

I am certainly that guy who doesn't see the invitations to things. I've chosen to be fine with that and for that reason I participate in many activities by my self or with a limited number of friends. I've come to love my privacy and real close relationships. I don't seem to have that "I'm going to miss out on something" fear that many have.

Thank goodness for places like RME to fill the void.

It's definitely a personal decision.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
It's fine. It's not like I'm spending my life digging out deep state conspiracy theories or talking about offing all politicians and baseball players. If I was talking about going somewhere/buying something and my phone starts showing me that stuff, then high five to my phone! ;)

I get what you're saying, and I get people's sensitivity to things like that, but it's not a battle I'm likely to win over technology so I honestly don't spend that much of my already minimal mental resources working to be untraceable.

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
https://www.extremetech.com/internet/281884-facebook-used-its-vpn-to-spy-on-other-companies-users

From NeonRevolt:
---
For those who aren't quite getting the implications, let me summarize for you.

Facebook apps - which are usually installed by default on most phones these days and unremovable - had an Onavo VPN layer to them.

What this means is that an Israeli firm with ties to Mossad (and which was purchased in 2013 by Facebook) was sucking up EVERYTHING about your data/phone/app usage, and storing it... somewhere, for Facebook to spy on.

Doesn't matter if you even used the apps or not.

Doesn't matter if you had an account or not.

That VPN layer was installed and your data was sucked down, indexed, and accessed without your knowledge or permission, and you have no control over it.

And not just from within Facebook-apps. Check out how, for instance, Android indexes your activity on the devices. They know every single button you click on every single app you open.

Facebook stole everything they could.

---

So here's the deal: this is no longer a case of "well, I have nothing to hide on my social media".