Delta Classic - 2021

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Late to the party, as always, so let me first say that it was pretty rad to see everyone that came out. I"m honestly super happy to have been able to take this trip with all of you since I joined RME in like '03, and having been able to hang out with you all at OSRC/DCRC since '08. It's been a blast, and I"m legitimately stoked to know you all.

Secondly, i'm almost always against switching horses in midstream, but it's also not really my circus. I sympathize with all of you wondering WTF, and it's one of the things I"d really like to discuss and settle prior to next year, for so many reasons, which brings me to my next and main point:

.... that DCRC should kind of get back to its roots, which were to be a fun, low-pressure, low-risk introduction to competition, and kind of a big party, with vendors, and land-use raffles, and a way mellower atmosphere than it had towards the end of OSRC... As it stands, it's somewhat less... laid-back than I personally think it should be. This year's relative lack of promotion and commensurate low attendance really bugged me. The lack of festive joviality also bugged me. I'll be discussing that with The Man Hisself soon enough, and discussing ways to better the event going forward, but it's also going to take YOUR involvement and action. :D

As for the bazillion classes, I'm against it, as this event isn't about the trophies and the competition itself, it was about the fun times and trying out something new. Over the years the increased focus on competition and growing rules lists and pressure started making OSRC something... else. IT makes for kind of a chaotic, nitpicky atmosphere and really could probably stand to be pared down-- which will make SOME people have the sad faces, because it's gonna mean that there are better rigs in their class. Well, head to a trail and see how it is, and go to a comp and see how it is, not everyone can win. I get tired of the whining about classes-- so many classes, nitpicked to death and detail. I'd want looser, more general class rules, and less classes. Let the chips fall, and get on with it, instead of having a billion classes for everything. While I'm at it, sandbaggers suck, if you're in a moon buggy in a sportsman class, boooooooo LOL *disclaimer: I'm typing all of this kind of chuckling-- I'm not getting all like, crazy about any of this. Tongue-in-cheek. Relax, man. :D

alright, anyway. See y'all where I see ya.

jeeperzcreeperz

Late to the party, as always, so let me first say that it was pretty rad to see everyone that came out. I"m honestly super happy to have been able to take this trip with all of you since I joined RME in like '03, and having been able to hang out with you all at OSRC/DCRC since '08. It's been a blast, and I"m legitimately stoked to know you all.

Secondly, i'm almost always against switching horses in midstream, but it's also not really my circus. I sympathize with all of you wondering WTF, and it's one of the things I"d really like to discuss and settle prior to next year, for so many reasons, which brings me to my next and main point:

.... that DCRC should kind of get back to its roots, which were to be a fun, low-pressure, low-risk introduction to competition, and kind of a big party, with vendors, and land-use raffles, and a way mellower atmosphere than it had towards the end of OSRC... As it stands, it's somewhat less... laid-back than I personally think it should be. This year's relative lack of promotion and commensurate low attendance really bugged me. The lack of festive joviality also bugged me. I'll be discussing that with The Man Hisself soon enough, and discussing ways to better the event going forward, but it's also going to take YOUR involvement and action. :D

As for the bazillion classes, I'm against it, as this event isn't about the trophies and the competition itself, it was about the fun times and trying out something new. Over the years the increased focus on competition and growing rules lists and pressure started making OSRC something... else. IT makes for kind of a chaotic, nitpicky atmosphere and really could probably stand to be pared down-- which will make SOME people have the sad faces, because it's gonna mean that there are better rigs in their class. Well, head to a trail and see how it is, and go to a comp and see how it is, not everyone can win. I get tired of the whining about classes-- so many classes, nitpicked to death and detail. I'd want looser, more general class rules, and less classes. Let the chips fall, and get on with it, instead of having a billion classes for everything. While I'm at it, sandbaggers suck, if you're in a moon buggy in a sportsman class, boooooooo LOL *disclaimer: I'm typing all of this kind of chuckling-- I'm not getting all like, crazy about any of this. Tongue-in-cheek. Relax, man. :D

Amen 😊 I really enjoy being out there just pushing my rig as far as it can go. Pushing the limit and I always learn from it everytime I compete. I gain more knowledge watching others. Especially @kmboren team they really know how to put a show on and they are amazing

skippy

Pretend Fabricator

:cody::cody::cody::cody:

maveric

Crawler Collecter

I know it was discussed last year about classes. My opinion (which most don't care about) is the classes be set closer to the new werock rules.

Unlimited and Promod
Pro class for the drag axle and rear steer cars.

Sportsman A
Entry/amateur level single seat and rear steer cars.

Sportsman B
Entry/amateur level drag axle, 2 seat cars

Sportsman C
Entry/amateur level modified stock.
This is where most of the Toyotas, JK's, Cherokee's are going to fall. Stock style suspension, sheet metal or not, hydro assist, etc. Average trail rig.

Stock
Entry level
Mild lift, street legal, drive it home when you are done competing for the weekend.

Most rigs that attend DCRC fit into ONE of these classes. Those that have a rig that fits into a upper class, but want to really run a lower class, can probably make a few tweaks to fit into the class. There will be a few exceptions, but class placement for those will be up to Big.

I really wish there were more of these type events. We have been working on getting my son on the podium for 3-4 years now. Each year, he has gotten better, and we have tweaked the rig to make it perform better. Unfortunately, with my lack of multi-tasking ability, I struggle with spotting for him at the werock events because we are focusing on our courses.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I know it was discussed last year about classes. My opinion (which most don't care about) is the classes be set closer to the new werock rules.

Unlimited and Promod
Pro class for the drag axle and rear steer cars.

Sportsman A
Entry/amateur level single seat and rear steer cars.

Sportsman B
Entry/amateur level drag axle, 2 seat cars

Sportsman C
Entry/amateur level modified stock.
This is where most of the Toyotas, JK's, Cherokee's are going to fall. Stock style suspension, sheet metal or not, hydro assist, etc. Average trail rig.

Stock
Entry level
Mild lift, street legal, drive it home when you are done competing for the weekend.

Most rigs that attend DCRC fit into ONE of these classes. Those that have a rig that fits into a upper class, but want to really run a lower class, can probably make a few tweaks to fit into the class. There will be a few exceptions, but class placement for those will be up to Big.

I really wish there were more of these type events. We have been working on getting my son on the podium for 3-4 years now. Each year, he has gotten better, and we have tweaked the rig to make it perform better. Unfortunately, with my lack of multi-tasking ability, I struggle with spotting for him at the werock events because we are focusing on our courses.
I agree 100% as long as driver skill isnt taken into account. The classes need to be based on the rig and the rig alone.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Just a random question because I am not sure I understand how to tell or define the difference.

How does werock define the difference between “pro” and “entry/amateur”?

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Just a random question because I am not sure I understand how to tell or define the difference.

How does werock define the difference between “pro” and “entry/amateur”?
Pro Mod and unlimited are the pro classes. Everything in sportsman is not a pro class. At delta I don't think he had pro classes. Just treated Everything as a sportman class and entry fees represented that. In we rock pro classes get 100% entry fee back to the purse. Sportsman get half back into the purse.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Pro Mod and unlimited are the pro classes. Everything in sportsman is not a pro class. At delta I don't think he had pro classes. Just treated Everything as a sportman class and entry fees represented that. In we rock pro classes get 100% entry fee back to the purse. Sportsman get half back into the purse.
So it goes back to that whole risk and reward?

It costs more to compete "pro" but the pay out is higher?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Exactly, you decide if your pro or amateur. If you have whats considered an unlimited car but dont want to run a pro class and the harder courses you run sportsman A with other cars that are similar to yours

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Exactly, you decide if your pro or amateur. If you have whats considered an unlimited car but dont want to run a pro class and the harder courses you run sportsman A with other cars that are similar to yours

Dave Poulsen last season ran a JHF moonbuggy almost identical to my car in the sportsman class all season. so you can literally do just about anything you want in the sportsman A class

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Yeah and then you can drive your $70k moonbuggy on the same courses as my beater XJ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't know why anybody would ever want that but there are some weird people out there...

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
You missed the point of that statement. The point is you can be in a super baller moon buggy with rear steer and run the same lines as a Sportsman C rig. It's silly.
Ok, so if I have super baller moon buggy and I run it on the same lines as the sportsman C lines, do I win the Sportsman C class? or would it be the sportsman A...

(Sorry I am old and back in the day every class had it own courses...)