Desert Mountain today

muleskinner

No wheelin, cept for the KQ, took a few photos while I was out. I forgot how cool that place is. Here are a few my wife liked.

6S7J9964_2_3.jpg

des3-p.jpg

westdes33.jpg

Check out the heat wave from my dads .45
heatwave.jpg

I do miss the old days:)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Whoa, are you doing some kind of HDR with the photos? Not that I know much about it. They look great!

muleskinner

um...wow nice shots! what's your secret?

Whoa, are you doing some kind of HDR with the photos? Not that I know much about it. They look great!

Thanks, these are all HDR images. The first one I used 7 images, the others I used 3.

We saw a ton of Deer out there:confused: I never even thought about them living on that mountain. Shot some Tannerite, hiked around a little, took a few photos. Pretty good day.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
nice pics. That heat wave is cool. I may have to get a few heat wave shots for my unit on physics.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
From Wikipedia: In image processing, computer graphics, and photography, high dynamic range imaging (HDRI or just HDR) is a set of techniques that allow a greater dynamic range of luminances between the lightest and darkest areas of an image than standard digital imaging techniques or photographic methods. This wider dynamic range allows HDR images to more accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes, ranging from direct sunlight to faint starlight.[1]

The two main sources of HDR imagery are computer renderings and merging of multiple photographs, which in turn are known as low dynamic range (LDR)[2] (also called standard dynamic range (SDR)[3]) photographs.

Tone mapping techniques, which reduce overall contrast to facilitate display of HDR images on devices with lower dynamic range, can be applied to produce images with preserved or exaggerated local contrast for artistic effect.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
So, do the heat waves just distort the light waves? It seems strange to my non-physics mind that they would interfere with each other.

When the air heats up it changes density. It will heat up at different speeds and different temperatures. The light that is passing through the different densities of air will bend differently due to diffraction. When the light passes back to the air that is normal temp then it returns to normal travel and no longer looks distorted.

muleskinner

Thanks for all the comments.

Muleskinner, what equipment were you using when you took these photos?

I'm a Canon guy. I used my 1DmarkIII with a 70-200L 2.8 IS lens for these. I have tons of cool HDR images somewhere on one of my computers. I'll see if I can find them if you guys like them.

Here are a couple more from Monday. I have some wild horses I'll post up later if they are any good.

HDR
Sheepcamp.jpg

Plain photo (kinda)
:D
Sheeple.jpg