DF Goblin Build

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
While everyone else is stocking up food in anticipation of a Coronavirus outbreak , I'm thinking how boredom would drive me crazy unless I had some sort of project. Fixed that today! Bring on the social distancing, I'm staying home for a few months.

This is the company https://dfkitcar.com/ They provide all parts to finish it minus a Chevy Cobalt. It’s basically a poor mans Ariel Atom. No fabrication required, just bolt it together. My kind of project :rofl:

A guy in Denver bought the kit and a cobalt then got a promotion at work, and didn’t touch it for a couple years, until he decided to sell it for a screaming deal.

The chassis has been powder coated in illusion red.

6C1C6F1D-008C-49AD-9701-342B6B7102B6.jpeg

The donor car is a 2010 SS (turbo). It has a dealer installed “stage 2” kit/tune, which supposedly increases HP to ~300. I just drove it home from Denver, and its quick.

554F5F5F-6A08-4EE5-AFAD-965BB009D89D.jpeg

The end goal is something like this. 1500lbs and 300hp should be enough to be scary.

7AA7236C-7993-4B65-ABAE-C60BD2270F44.jpeg

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
That is so bitchen, Ben! I love the project, that would be a hoot to blast around in.

Can it be registered for road legal use?

I sure hope so :rofl: Utah has a provision for kit cars, they just have to be inspected by a dmv officer or LEO, which probably means it’ll need some temporary fenders. Other than that it shouldn’t be a problem.

I just looked around their website. That’s a cool idea!!

I was kind of tempted to do the all terrain version, but this deal was too good to pass up. They say about 100 man hours to complete, but we all know how that goes...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I watched Demolition Ranch on youtube build one of those. Pretty sweet little ride. He raced it against a Nissan GTR and just barely beat him.

Last edited:

Corban_White

I don't think you'll need fenders. This is the custom vehicle section of the inspection manual:

DEFINITIONS
1. “Custom Vehicle" means: a. a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948; or
b. was manufactured to resemble a vehicle that is at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948; and has been altered from the manufacturer's original design; or has a body constructed of non-original materials.​
c. A custom vehicle is primarily a collector's item that is used for: club activities; exhibitions; tours; parades; occasional transportation; and other similar uses.​
A custom vehicle does not include a motor vehicle that is used for general, daily transportation or is a vintage vehicle (UCA 41-6a-1507).​
2. "Vintage Vehicle" means a motor vehicle that is 30 years old or older, used primarily as a collector's item, and used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, occasional transportation, and similar uses, but that is not used for general daily transportation.

A. A vehicle with a vintage license plate does not require a safety inspection. A vehicle may be registered as a vintage vehicle if it is 30 years or older, used primarily as a collector’s item and used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, occasional transportation, and similar uses, but is not used for general daily transportation.
B. The following are minimum safety equipment requirements for a custom vehicle:
1. Hydraulic service brakes on all wheels with current vehicle brake and stopping standards.​
2. Parking brake operating on at least two wheels on the same axle.​
3. Seat belts for all passengers and driver.​
4. Sealed beam or halogen headlamps.​
5. Brake Lamps.​
6. Turn signal lamps and switch.​
7. AS-1 safety glass or Lexan.​
8. Electric or vacuum windshield wiper in front of the drivers view.​
a. Reject when:​
i. Any of the above requirements are not met.​
C. Exhaust systems may discharge along the side of the vehicle provided they discharge at a point behind the rear edge of the door and exhaust is directed away from the vehicle.

DEFINITIONS
1. “Custom Vehicle" means:
a. a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948; or​
b. was manufactured to resemble a vehicle that is at least 25 years old and of a model year after 1948; and has been altered from the manufacturer's original design; or has a body constructed of non-original materials.​
c. A custom vehicle is primarily a collector's item that is used for: club activities; exhibitions; tours; parades; occasional transportation; and other similar uses. A custom vehicle does not include a motor vehicle that is used for general, daily transportation or is a vintage vehicle (UCA 41-6a-1507).​
2. "Vintage Vehicle" means a motor vehicle that is 30 years old or older, used primarily as a collector's item, and used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, occasional transportation, and similar uses, but that is not used for general daily transportation. 50
D. The vehicle identification for a custom vehicle shall be a number stamped on the frame of the vehicle. If no such numbers exist, then the requirements as established pursuant to Administrative Rule R873-22M-15 (Department of Motor Vehicles) must be followed in order to pass inspection.
E. All safety equipment of a replica vehicle shall at least meet the safety standards applicable to the model year of the vehicle being replicated. Any replacement equipment shall comply with the design standards of the replacement equipment’s manufacture (41-6a-1507).

However, it does say they are optional on 1935 and older vehicles, so maybe they are required? Lots of ambiguity on the DMV website regarding custom/kit cars. Either way, I love it!

Coco

That is sweet! Glad to see you back on here Ben, been too long (ha, I am punny) hope you and the family are doing well! I'll be following the build!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Question for you guys... When I started tightening down the engine bolt mount plate, the threads on the nut and inside the bolt stripped. I had not tightened this down much, I think I just had a 3/8" wrench on it. Is this a defective bolt/nut, or do I need to go grade 8. Would grade 8 even resolve this?

IMG_20200713_063643.jpg

Otherwise, the build is coming along nicely. Got some help on the toughest parts, finishing up the wiring and pulling radiator hoses through the frame rails from @Corban_White

Engine is mounted and now I'm just bolting parts up. I'm waiting on some parts from the kit maker before I can fire it up, but I should be able to start it up within a week or two.

IMG_20200713_063708.jpg

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I think the bolt was defective. Also, great progress! I've been thinking I should come down and help out, but that dang heat.....

It has been brutal. I had some time to work on it Saturday afternoon, but it was 110° in the garage, that wasn't happening.

Even this morning, I got a couple hours in on it before work, started at 5am, opened the garage door and it got "down" to 88° 🥵

Normally I'd just leave it until the weather cools off, but I really want it done for the fall driving weather.