Diesel cats

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
I’m going to preface this by saying that I shouldve looked into this deeper last year. So I’m taking most of the responsibility here….

Went to take my 06 Duramax in for emissions earlier today. I bought It last year from a dealership, and it was due at the end of June. Anyway, it failed the visual inspection due to no Catalytic converter. Yes, I shouldve checked. My fault. I made an assumption. However, it did “pass” last year, or rather, “was passed”. What confuses me though, is that’s it had to have passed a visual inspection, and I have not done anything to the exhaust since then.

So now I’m up shit creek without a paddle, or a catalytic converter. I’m most likely looking at $500+ for a 5” cat, plus install. Not a huge deal, but pretty frustrating at the same time.

If you were in my shoes, would you go back to the dealership? Or just eat the $500 and move on?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m going to preface this by saying that I shouldve looked into this deeper last year. So I’m taking most of the responsibility here….

Went to take my 06 Duramax in for emissions earlier today. I bought It last year from a dealership, and it was due at the end of June. Anyway, it failed the visual inspection due to no Catalytic converter. Yes, I shouldve checked. My fault. I made an assumption. However, it did “pass” last year, or rather, “was passed”. What confuses me though, is that’s it had to have passed a visual inspection, and I have not done anything to the exhaust since then.

So now I’m up shit creek without a paddle, or a catalytic converter. I’m most likely looking at $500+ for a 5” cat, plus install. Not a huge deal, but pretty frustrating at the same time.

If you were in my shoes, would you go back to the dealership? Or just eat the $500 and move on?
I'd go back to the dealership. They can figure out how to "pass" it.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks

I lost the cat on my 06 diesel in a tragic boating accident. The next year they started this inspection crap. My timing rocks. I bought a 4" off amazon with an EPA number for under $100.
This one

Looks like there is enough taper on the cones you could just cut it off at 5" diameter. I've done just that on older ford OEM cats.