Diesel Engines

MattL

Just curious as to the quality of the older GM 6.5 ltr diesel motors.

I heard that they are modded gas motors rigged to work. How true is this?

Any one have one or any experience with them>>>?

were talking early 90's era..

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
No quality....(at least that's their reputation).....I've never owned one, but have known people that have. Some have had an excellent experience with them, but others have had nightmares and swapped the truck to a gas motor or sold it off.

notajeep

Just me
The magazine the 4 wheel parts puts out had a big tech article about them a while back...I'll look..... But seems to me that the major disadvantage to that motor was that is dosen't have much of a potential for big hp and torque numbers. That being said...I do some work time to time on one that has over 300000 on it and still going strong.

SnwMnkys

Wasnt it the 6.2 that was converted over? Or is the 6.2 and the 6.5 the same motor? Does the military have big problems with there hummers? Arent they a GM 6.5 motor? Im wondering if the 6.5 got a bad rap because of the 6.2 and lack of vehicle that sold with the 6.5 in it.

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
The 6.5 is a updated 6.2. GM bought it from Detroit Diesel (who they formerly owned) or somebody like that. It is not based on the large Chevrolet- that is a common old wives tale. They struggle with injector pumps, but mostly with cracked heads- they don't like being overheated. If they are treated well they commonly go 300,000+ miles. There are some performance mods but not anything like the strokers or cummins motors power wise.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I looked into them a little when I was looking at a burb with one. There is a little you can do to them, but never going to get much more power than a small block. I heard of pump problems to. They can be turbo'd but I was told not to do it on a high milage engine. The only real pro's I saw were fuel milage and motor milage if taken care of....
And the ones I have seen, seem to seep oil/fuel everywhere and turn into BIG grease balls. :D