Diesel Exhaust Conversation

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Ok, It looks like the 4" exhaust I put in my 1999 CTD 13-14 years ago is finally giving up.

The truck is a 1999 CTD Long bed with a 5 speed, 150K miles, and it is my tow toy. Rarely does it get used when not towing, but when I tow it is generally heavy. The Truck and trailer with rigs on it scaled out at 21.5k.

I haven't heated up the programing/injectors etc. to anything crazy, so I haven't done a set of gauges yet, but with a ATS 3 piece exhaust manifold and the 4" exhaust it "seems" to handle the EGT situation ok.

All that being said.

What do you recommend?

Another 4"? or is it worth it to step up to 5"?

Type of metal? Aluminized, Stainless Steel...?

Where to buy? Amazon has about anything you could ask for, but I prefer support local if possible...

I will just hang it myself... So I don't need a shop...

Let me know your thoughts,

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Aluminized has always been lasted well for me. There are some new DIY coatings available that can help it last longer. I really don't think stainless is worth it unless the price difference is very small. As for size, I'd be tempted to stay with 4" to keep the noise under control, but I'm an old man now.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I am definitely an old man as well... I like to be able to talk in the cab of the truck. The days of loud exhausts and loud tires are GONE... :)

Would the 5" be that much louder?

Does the 5" help the EGT situation?

there doesn't seem to a be huge bump in cost between the two...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I’m in the same boat with my 02 CTD. Right now it’s 4” (old and full of holes) and seems to work well for egt’s.

Don’t quote me but I ‘think’ the 5” does not allow for the spare tire to remain in the stock location. Worth looking in to anyway...

RockChucker

My Duramax has 4" and is great. It is straight piped and not too loud in the cab (different story if you're by the business end of the tailpipe). But the V8s seem less prone to droning than the Cummins. It came on my truck. Not sure the brand. I think it is stainless though.