Gear / Accessories Diesel Heaters

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Let’s talk about these cheap Chinese diesel heaters. @Die Blaue Ziege picked one up for me recently and I’m pretty excited about it. It’s the 8Kw version and I’ve been kinda going through it. Replaced some fragile crappy looking fuel lines, went through some of the poor electrical connections/connectors and improved them and made some legs for it (keep that hot pipe up off the ground). I also installed a nice controller/interface with a remote control.

Anyway what tips or tricks do you have with these things to make them reliable for off-road car camping. For lame medical reasons I’m no longer able to sleep in temps below around freezing and winter car camping is one of my favorite things to do! Hopefully I can make this thing reliable and have it heat my sleeping arrangement this winter 😎

IMG_4194.jpeg

IMG_4195.jpeg

J-mobzz

I’ve had 3 of them in different vehicles they are amazing. The only issue I’ve ever had is the fuel pump. I carry a spare now. But for the $120 my 5kw units cost they are game changers for winter. I even used one in Fairbanks in -30+ weather in a van and stayed nice and warm the whole time.

My current van is on its 3rd season and it fired right up last week after running a prime cycle on the pump.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Let’s talk about these cheap Chinese diesel heaters. @Die Blaue Ziege picked one up for me recently and I’m pretty excited about it. It’s the 8Kw version and I’ve been kinda going through it. Replaced some fragile crappy looking fuel lines, went through some of the poor electrical connections/connectors and improved them and made some legs for it (keep that hot pipe up off the ground). I also installed a nice controller/interface with a remote control.

Anyway what tips or tricks do you have with these things to make them reliable for off-road car camping. For lame medical reasons I’m no longer able to sleep in temps below around freezing and winter car camping is one of my favorite things to do! Hopefully I can make this thing reliable and have it heat my sleeping arrangement this winter 😎

View attachment 165398

View attachment 165399
I’ve been using the expensive original version (Espar) of these since 2006 for work. They absolutely rock.

Tonkaman

View attachment 165398

View attachment 165399
How has this heater been working out for you? Are you happy with the portable design or would you rather go with a built in unit?

Tonkaman

I’ve had 3 of them in different vehicles they are amazing. The only issue I’ve ever had is the fuel pump. I carry a spare now. But for the $120 my 5kw units cost they are game changers for winter. I even used one in Fairbanks in -30+ weather in a van and stayed nice and warm the whole time.

My current van is on its 3rd season and it fired right up last week after running a prime cycle on the pump.
Since you’ve had 3 of these, are there any brands you’d recommend or I should stay away from? For that price I don’t expect much difference.

I’m going to be spending several weekends camped out of the sprinter over the winter. And I’m quickly realizing it’s a massive heat sink.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
How has this heater been working out for you? Are you happy with the portable design or would you rather go with a built in unit?

Haven’t had a chance to really try it out yet. I think if I ever end up with another slide in camper I’ll go built in and fuel it off the trucks diesel tank somehow…. Just daydreaming at this point though 😂