Diesel JLUR

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Adaptive cruise control. Who needs that, I said to myself before using it. Now, I Can’t live without It! LOL
Its pretty damn amazing!

I love and hate mine in the dude-aru loves to slam on the brakes, stupid object detection also loves to slam on the brakes if it sees a bush or something when parking.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Ok I thought I better do an update on the JLURD.

I finally got the lift it was the JSPEC 3.5inch with the heavy duty coils. after install i did measurements again and found that I only got about 2 inches of lift out of them. which is about where I wanted to be. The jspec shocks are terrible and I feel every bump in the road! Need to get some Falcons o there someday! 20200927_172840.jpg20200927_172833.jpg20200927_172808.jpg20200927_172820.jpg

I have been averaging about 23 mpg on my daily drive to and from work in Wyoming. I have almost 12k miles on the engine and it runs great with no complaints other then the what I think is high usage of DEF fluid! I got the jeep with about 3/4 of tank of def from the factory, I filled it at 2500 miles before going to Moab for labor day. I towed my 3500# trailer down there and wheeling the 3 days then towed back home.. when I got home the def tank was almost empty! the whole trip was only about 700 miles! I again filled the tank at about 8400 miles and I need to fill it not with 11250 miles. 20200907_075537 (1).jpg
So I am getting about 3k per 5 gal tank. Might have to open a ticket with Jeepcares and see what they say!

I have had two oil changes both at about 5k miles. just before the oil change I looked and I was a quart low on oil both times. lets see where this takes me as the engine gets further along in miles!

While 4wheeling in Moab for labor day, it was just over 100 degrees everyday and this engine is a heat magnet! The two air vents on the hood are just for decoration due to they only have an inch round hole on the bottom side. I watched a youtube video where someone cut the whole bottom out and removed the heatshield under the hood to help vent the heat! I am going to buy a second set of vents and do this but then put the originals back in for fall, winter, spring so that the water isn't leaking down onto the engine. The heatshield under the hood actually has path ways for the water to flow over to the side of hood and out onto the fender.

I bought a Rampart JL front bumper but when it got here despite the part number it was a JK bumper. I ended up having to open up the holes in order to make it fit on the JL. I kinda wish I had ordered the factory steel bumper due to my Warn zeon winch would have sat lower in the bumper, where as with the Rampart bumper it sit on top of the bumper blocking the air flow. My factory LED fog lights do fit in the new bumper but are only held on by 2 bolts and it seem it aims them downwards cause they only shine out about 6 feet infront of the jeep. 20200927_172753.jpg

I'm still loving the adaptive cruise control! but the only complaint about it is that it takes a few seconds to start accelerating after it slowed you down. IE slowed you down as you came up to a vehicle in front of you.. but when you move a lane over it takes a few seconds to get moving back to set speed again.

TORQUE!!! excellent! except in 2 wheel drive and on wet street or snow!!! I got to drive up to Evanston in a snow storm and a few times the rear end wanted to push me to the passenger side when it come to a slick spot while in cruise control. It has the OEM Falken MT tires which might have something to do with it. But I sure do love racing off the line with that turbo spooled up!

I put an order in for some 37x12.50x17 Falken wildpeak AT3W tires that I will be putting on my old JK rims. Keeping the Falken MT 285x70x17 on the JL rims as my daily driving tires. Since the elections Diesel fuel has jumped in price 35-45 cents a gallon!!! So with the 37 I am sure my mileage is going to take a big hit! I have been watching forum posts about gear changing and all for 37 inch tires and everyone is up in arms between 4.10 and 4.56 gears... math says 4.27 would be the right gear. So there might be a gear change next year!

I haven't hit a scale yet but spec say this beast weigh in about 5800 pounds... so with the winch and bumper, rear skid plate and me in the jeep its probably close to 6100 pounds! So it earned the nickname PIGLET! need someone to make me a sticker for the spot just above the rear tires!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'd say your DEF usage is normal. I have to fill mine about as often in my pickup and my work truck. They're of course larger engines and larger DEF tanks, but 3-4k is about the range I get on both.

gijohn40

Based on your comments about airflow and heat, are you having any overheating issues?
when I towed to moab over labor day the temp outside was over 100 degrees and while towing it was hot!!! talking the gauge showed 3/4 scale and the gauge on the offroad page showed 244 degrees. it never got about that but I could tell it was detuning the engine. while out 4wheeling it was running hot as well, not 244 hot but like 229. I think that the vent on the hood being opened up will help with this.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
when I towed to moab over labor day the temp outside was over 100 degrees and while towing it was hot!!! talking the gauge showed 3/4 scale and the gauge on the offroad page showed 244 degrees. it never got about that but I could tell it was detuning the engine. while out 4wheeling it was running hot as well, not 244 hot but like 229. I think that the vent on the hood being opened up will help with this.
244 on a diesel is a scary number to me.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
There are still some good tunes for this engine. I would invest in one. I have the original GDE engine and trans tune. What a difference. I use about a gallon per 1000 miles of def now. The t-stat is fully open at 225. These engines run hot. Much hotter than I was used to. As I recall though 244 is the magic number for derating. I’m much more interested in your oil temp numbers. I’m always on the verge of derating at 266. I understand the new engines have a better oil cooler.
Nice Jeep.

gijohn40

oil temps are still up there as well. I think it was at about 266 when the engine was at 244. and yes it derates at 244.
I don't think I mentioned that the electric steering pump got hot while 4wheeling in the heat of labor day. I got the message that it was overheated and that steering might be effected. I looked at the steering fluid reservoir and the fluid was about a 1/4 inch above the full mark. the electric pump is on the passenger side of the engine.

I also forgot about my trip to Denver... I had my 5x10 trailer with a motorcycle on it so total weight was probably around 1300-1400lbs. going east I averaged 26mpg. coming back without the motorcycle (500-600#) I had a head wind from Laramie all the way to Evanston and only averaged 22mpg.
I set the cruise control at 70mph and tried to stay at that all the way.

It was nice to fill up at the Maverik in Uinta (I-84 & 89) and be able to drive all the way to Laramie without having to stop once.