Diff fluid.

Omgbecki

So what cool, ingenious ways do you guys have to replace diff fluid in a TJ? I don't change fluid much since I don't put a lot of mileage on the jeep. I remember last chime I did it was a huge pain and mess. Especially the rear. The gas tank just happens to be in the way.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Takes a while, but get a little plastic hand pump that fits the fluid container and just pump it in. Helps if you do it on a warm day.

There are also pneumatic versions of this as well that make life pretty easy.

Agility Customs

Vendor
I feel your pain, the buggy has HI9s in it and dropping a third member to change gear oil is the worst. Also just buy a JK they have drain pugs built into the housing

DAA

My TJ Rubi 44's have drain plugs.

But for filling, it definitely helps make more room to droop out the rear axle. On mine, even with my huge tank, that makes enough room to use the regular bottle with a tube on it. The pump deal is easier, but slower, for me.

I dig the new packaging I'm seeing for some gear oil, like a juice pack, should make it a lot easier to do, but the stuff I buy still comes in old fashioned bottles.

- DAA

Omgbecki

But for filling, it definitely helps make more room to droop out the rear axle. On mine, even with my huge tank, that makes enough room to use the regular bottle with a tube on it. The pump deal is easier, but slower, for me.

I dig the new packaging I'm seeing for some gear oil, like a juice pack, should make it a lot easier to do, but the stuff I buy still comes in old fashioned bottles.

- DAA

I actually noticed amsoil had a pack like that.

Omgbecki

You can get a little pump that you turn with a cordless drill at harbor freight. I'm going to upgrade the old hand pump with one next time I drop the fluid.

I really like this idea. Do you know how I could get it to work for my application?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
For tight places I use a short length, maybe 6" of clear tubing slipped over the end of a quart of 90 weight. You can clamp it on the bottle lid with a hose clamp and just squeeze the bottle and turn it upside down.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor

- DAA

This. Droop the axle out and gain you some working space. Other than that it is pretty straight forward to remove diff cover, clean surface, replace cover and fill. I've tried the pressurized containers and although they work, they can be a PITA still. I merely install a piece of 1/2" clear tubing to the spout and hold the bottle parallel above the axle and slightly squeeze the bottle. It isn't fast but is efficient and I don't make a mess all over the place.

Mike

Omgbecki

Thanks guys. Some great ideas. I've done this before and it was a huge PITA and messy. That's what I'm trying to avoid. I'll have to see if my jack will lift the jeep high enough to drop the rear. The front is a tad bit easier but not much.

xjtony

I really like this idea. Do you know how I could get it to work for my application?
I was just thinking of reducing the port size with barb fittings or whatever, and adding how ever much hose I needed to both sides. Stick one side in the bottle, the other in the diff/transfer case, and pump. For $3 I figured it would be worth trying to make it work. Filling an Atlas with a hand pump is a chore! lol

Omgbecki

I was just thinking of reducing the port size with barb fittings or whatever, and adding how ever much hose I needed to both sides. Stick one side in the bottle, the other in the diff/transfer case, and pump. For $3 I figured it would be worth trying to make it work. Filling an Atlas with a hand pump is a chore! lol

Hahaha. I bet it is.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
All you need to do on the rear is put a large wood block between the rear bumper and a jack, then jack it up until the plug is clear of the gas tank, don't forget to block the front wheels. Could also use a hi-lift if you have one.

Omgbecki

All you need to do on the rear is put a large wood block between the rear bumper and a jack, then jack it up until the plug is clear of the gas tank, don't forget to block the front wheels. Could also use a hi-lift if you have one.

That's a great idea. I didn't even think of using a high lift. I haven't had one for a while