Digital Minimalism

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I was thinking of one person I worked with who didn't miss an opportunity to tell you he doesn't have a TV yet plays video games on his computer for hours a day. And was a condescending ass about it.

Didn't mean to come off so defensive.

Ahh, yea there's always those!
You didn't come off rude or defensive, I was just throwing in my 2 cents. :cool: All good dialogue

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Some great discussion here. It was fun checking in on this thread after spending 4 days completely disconnected while on a church trek activity.

I'm really glad there was some productive counterpoints. I think everyone needs to figure out how to best use tech in their own lives, and I'm definitely feeling like less is more for me personally.

Mike W

My first home computer was an Atari that connected to my TV..My second was a 386, it had a 500mb hard drive and 4mb of ram..expanded to 8mb..I paid $6,800 for it..still have it and it still works..or turns on.

My first cell phone weighed 15lbs and was carried in a bag. I grew through the electronic evolution. Ten years ago I smashed my laptop with a Peterbuilt..I used my smart phone for most everything I needed to do..Not without reservation.

To me digital technology has destroyed true meaningful personal communication. Personal. Interaction has been taken over by Facebook and tweeter..

To each there own I grew up and got old through the digital revolution..great things have accomplished and great things have been lost..

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I love my cell phone. I mostly use it to take and edit photos. I use it with my drones for my side business and for pleasure. I've spent less and less time posting on FB and insta the past year but still get on to see what my friends and family are up to regularly (only had twitter when I worked for Tread lightly years ago) but love to take photos. I print out the special ones via Amazon photos for super cheap and have a box of random photos just like my folks did, but I get them super fast because of the technology.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
About 3 months in at this point. Not too long into this I switched to the Apple Watch, after playing with my in-laws Apple Watch, it seemed like a much better primary device than the Samsung.

This is my first ever apple product, I snagged an old Iphone 6 off of a family member, as you still need a cell phone as a primary device. I wish there was a way around this, but nothing that I'm aware of yet. Switching to the Iphone I gave up being able to text on my PC, until/if I purchase some sort of Macbook.

I am definitely more disconnected from the digital world, and it has been a positive experience so far. I still update RME every other day or so, and local news, and that's about it.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I'm not on any type of social media, and I'm still alive. My watch is analog as God intended, and my books are paper.

My only regret is having a smart phone. My mobile business requires use of internet, extensive email use, maps and wayfinding, constant text communication with clients, and daily calendar management. It's the simplest solution, but not without misgivings.

I love being unplugged. My definition of financial (and life) success will be when I can upgrade to a flip phone.