Dirt Bike riding tips & tricks

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
i thought you were supposed to weight the uphill peg on a sidehill.

I guess I am kind of acting like it is a turn. In a left hand turn I put my left foot out by the front axle, sit on the right side or top of the bike when it is leaned over and weight the right peg to push the bike down into the ground. In the situation I mentioned above I am leaning the bike into the hill. I think weighting the uphill peg keeps you balanced but pushes the weight to the tires in the wrong direction. Putting weight away from the bike on the uphill side balances you and allows you to lean the bike into the hill and push the outside of the bike into the hill. I might be doing it all wrong but it feels really comfortable and I am way more stable. Maybe it's just a confidence thing like being able to touch the ground;)

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I spent a LOT of time on my ride tonight working on peg weighting. Weighting the uphill side made me feel like I was really hugging the trail nice, but it made it slightly more difficult if/when I had to put a foot down because I had to switch weight.. Not a big deal as that only took a split second, but it was noticeable.
Also played around with foot weight while standing and turning. I have always weighted the outside and leaned the bike. But if I weight the inside it cut much better, but felt less stable. Which is the correct way?

What about sitting on sweeping turns? I again have always weighted the outside of the bike, and leaned it in. On a quad or street bike I lean into a turn, but seem to do it opposite on a dirtbike. If I rolled my right cheek off the seat in a right turn it felt different, but maybe better.

However, while watching the pros they seem to weight the outside and lean the bike more.

What's right?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I was just looking online at buying the Shane watts 4 pack, but then got thinking someone on here might have it I could just borrow for a day or two.. Any takers?

And I think we should cash in on coach Von training.. Unless this already happened, and I was excluded fom the club -_-

Tonkaman

I've got the Shane Watts instructional videos and they are open for viewing anytime. I actually haven't sat thru them yet so maybe we should let the kids play while we study

Vonski

nothing to see here...
If anyone is interested, we have some open spaces in a riding class with Destry Abbot on 12/30 & 31 in Phoenix.

Oh man, I wish I could make it, but not looking very likely. Post up or send me some info (including sign-up deadline) just incase something changes. Thanks!

Last edited:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
And I think we should cash in on coach Von training.. Unless this already happened, and I was excluded fom the club -_-

Nah, nobody was excluded... it just never happened. :( Hit me up in the spring and we'll go out. I can pass along some stuff for sure...

Keep in mind, the very best part of going to an actual Shane Watts (or other "in-person") instructional class, is that you are put on the spot and have no choice but to perform exercises for someone else. Shane would find your weaknesses, point them out, and make you improve on them whether you liked it or not. This is the type of thing that most people don't have the discipline to do themselves, ya know?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I was looking into taking his class, but decided I'm too old and fat. But then I realized most of the people in his classes were old and fat, so I think I might. I wanted to start with his videos and then a class a little later.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I was looking into taking his class, but decided I'm too old and fat. But then I realized most of the people in his classes were old and fat, so I think I might. I wanted to start with his videos and then a class a little later.

Oh you'll like Shane, he pretty much only rides 2 strokes and he's not a big fan of auto-clutches. ;)

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Oh man, I wish I could make it, but not looking very likely. Post up or send me some info (including sign-up deadline) just incase something changes. Thanks!
The class is $150 per day, but you don't have to do both days. We will be doing the class somewhere outside of Peoria where Destry lives. The class is one we set up with him and he is not filling it with other riders. There is a limit of 10 riders and we have it half full right now.

Tonkaman

The class is $150 per day, but you don't have to do both days. We will be doing the class somewhere outside of Peoria where Destry lives. The class is one we set up with him and he is not filling it with other riders. There is a limit of 10 riders and we have it half full right now.

Wow that is a sweet deal! I'm am kicking myself so bad right now for having my bike split open

Tonkaman

Come grab the Shane watts DVD set and plan to go to this training!

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Thought these were great videos on how to remove and mount a tire. Sorry if re-posts.

Remove tire:

[video=youtube;TVKzoaL8qaI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVKzoaL8qaI&feature=[/video]

Mount tire:

[video=youtube;IMYQ6L2jKKQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMYQ6L2jKKQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Whee-doggie! I followed these instructions today. Waaay better! I did two tires this morning with out a single bloody knuckle, didn't pop a tube, and exerted very little effort!
I've got to go do one more, but we just ate, so it might be a little harder :)