Dirt Muscle Car

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Jeff Knoll bought an old Tri-Five Chevy a while back, an old desert car. It was pretty cool, and I remember seeing it for sale really cheap before he got it. They've got to be out there-- there were tons of them in the 70s and early 80s. Neat idea and I'm all for it. :D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm surprised the Roadkill guy's AMC hasn't made it into this thread yet. A Javelin, I think?

Ashcat

I approve of this idea. Extra points for anything perimeter frame. All the first page examples I dig and there were a few Edsels built for Baja.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
This Impala would be a nice Choose-Your-Own-Engine adventure.

Or... OR... one-owner 78 Thunderbird?

I need to put down the internet and go do something with myself, or I'm gonna end up with another project I don't have the time or skills to complete.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So getting back to this... been thinking about building a dirt muscle car that met NORRA class specs, so that it could eventually race down in Baja! I've lightly read over the rules, sounds pretty standard and doable. The rules are pretty wide open and should be easy to build within, IMO.

I think I'd use a GM muscle car, drop in a 5.3 LS engine (hey, I have a spare!) with an aftermarket cam and probably a 4L80E trans for beef. That drivetrain would be reliable, powerful and easy. Look at a fabricated Ford 9" housing with deep gears and a Detroit or some kind of full time locker. High quality suspension seats, a cage built to spec, etc, etc. Probably run a massive fuel tank for more time offroad, a couple tires hanging out of the trunk, etc. The suspension build would be a new one for me, but I'd probably have some custom Alcans built for the rear, high quality shocks and some kind of beefy bump stop. Front.... no idea. Beefed up A arms, taller and heavier coils, bumps? Would be killer to widen the A arms for more track width and travel.

It would be great if I could keep it plated (pretty easy here in Western CO) and run a race light setup, maintaining brake lights, blinkers, etc.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'd plan on a car that falls in the Pioneer Era....

Technology Eras for Cars, Trucks, SUVs, and UTVs NORRA has introduced the concept of “Technology Eras”. An Overall Trophy will be awarded for the lowest overall time in each Era. The Eras are roughly defined by the technology that was available in that era, rather than by specific build dates. The Era technology restrictions are primarily focused upon chassis, suspension, and transmission technology. Era specific engine technology restrictions are in place in some categories and may be implemented in additional categories in the future. The NORRA Eras are: Pioneer Era (1967 - 1975) o Characterized by early Burros and original Stroppeso 2” shocks, 33” max tire size, swing axle buggies.

Pioneer Era (1967 - 1975) Characterized by early Burros and original Stroppeso 2” shocks, 33” max tire size, swing axle buggies.

PIONEER Era (1967 - 1975) Pioneer Buggy category
VW Type 1 engines only (any displacement), no fuel injection
VW Swing axle transaxles only o Stock VW front / rear suspension
100” max wheelbase
33” max tire diameter
2” max shock diameter, no coilovers, no bypasses
Pioneer Cars category
Cars conforming to Pioneer Era limitations

***EDIT*** Hmmmm.... says Pioneer cars MUST be carburated. Don't like that.

So there's also...

11.11 Vintage Open Production Cars- This is a vintage category for production based passenger vehicles (sedans, coupes, and convertibles). Trucks and SUVs are not permitted in this category. Vehicles in this category must be at least 20 years old. Fenders are required for all four wheels. Maximum tire size is 37” Vehicles in this category must be readily recognizable as the vehicle upon which it is based, at the discretion of NORRA. This is a home for the original Class 6. The Open Production Car category is for vehicles that are heavily modified for example a vehicle that is a space frame racecar with a production appearing body. The determination of this is left to NORRA officials and will be based upon past performance or speed potential in NORRA’s opinion.

11.12 Vintage Stock Production Cars- This is a vintage category for production based passenger vehicles (sedans, coupes, and convertibles). Trucks and SUVs are not permitted in this category. Vehicles in this category must be at least 20 years old. Fenders are required for all four wheels. Maximum tire size is 37” Vehicles in this category must be readily recognizable as the vehicle upon which it is based, at the discretion of NORRA. This is a home for the original Class 6. The Stock Production Car category is for cars that are largely based on mildly modified production cars and retain most of the car’s chassis and body.

Last edited: