Dirt Muscle Car

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So I went down quite a rabbit hole this morning, been trying to figure out how to build & set up the front suspension, steering, etc. All this is just being written down for reference for later on, honestly... nothing is going to happen with this car for quite awhile.

So I picked up a couple of 2WD '88-98 Chevy Silverado 4" lift spindles, they're very beefy and would make a great upgrade to the Pontiac to gain lift without drastically increasing A-arm angle. What I'd really like to do is build 3" wider A-arms for more wheel travel (which that will be a new thing for me), use these Silverado 4" lift spindles to work with the new, wider A-arms.

Screenshot_20220917_093424-X2.jpg

The next problem is steering.... the factory steering box & tie rods are behind the knuckles and the Silverado knuckles are forward. There's not a great place to put a steering box in the traditional forward position, so I'm considering upgrading to a Mustang II power steering rack & pinion. I'd have to build a mount for it and think I could incorporate the factory crossmember with a Mustang II crossmember & mount. It would be heavily plated & protected, of course. I think it would be decently afforable, easy to get parts for and straight forward to customize.

I'd love to incorporate coilovers w/ remote reservoirs & air bumps into the front suspension too.... totally overkill, but it would be awesome! Maybe some used Raptor takeoffs?