Dirtbiking at 5 mile???

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Well everything is still frozen up here :rolleyes: and after a trip to Kelton/Park Valley I really need to get some more dirtbiking in :D

I was wondering what the dirtbiking is like at 5 Mile? I've heard mixed reviews, and don't know if it's worth the trip down... I'm not too familiar with the area other than the Snakes so I'm not quite sure where 5 mile even is! :rofl:

Anyway if you ride and want to plan a trip or something in this area let me know :D

Andrew

Paul R

Well everything is still frozen up here :rolleyes: and after a trip to Kelton/Park Valley I really need to get some more dirtbiking in :D

I was wondering what the dirtbiking is like at 5 Mile? I've heard mixed reviews, and don't know if it's worth the trip down... I'm not too familiar with the area other than the Snakes so I'm not quite sure where 5 mile even is! :rofl:

Anyway if you ride and want to plan a trip or something in this area let me know :D

Andrew

I grew up dirt bikingout at 5 mile :) It is really fun you basically get out and go. The main area is the parking lot on the right side before the road sweeps to the right to go out to the snakes...

I wish I had a bike and some free time or I'd head out... but school is taking up most my time right now...:-\

Maddeh

Plenty of trails at 5 mile, I usually do about a 12 mile loop that goes South off the road and circles around the mountain there.

There are way better places to go though, 5 mile really chews up your tires due to the hard dirt and rocks. I only ride there when I don't have the time to drive far. Since you're coming from all the way up there though I guess I wouldn't feel like driving much further. You might try Knolls, that's probably pretty close in overall distance.

Last edited:

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
5 Mile is a great place to ride, and should be sufficiently dried out by now to keep it fun. Constrictor is a fun ride from the top down.

Coco

I had an '02 Kawasaki KDX 200 a while back, wished I had not got rid of it...but now I want the new Raptor 700R (I was told the 660s had lots of problems, otherwise I would be happy with one of them) and not spend the $8000 on the 700R...(I wish I had money!!!):-\

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Just watch out for the rouge washes out there... I hit one 4' deep, 40' across running at about 60 MPH. It wasn't pretty... :ugh: I didn't break anything, but I could have been severely injured. My stupid fault for dropping my guard for 30 seconds.

Greg

Admin
It takes 30 seconds of not paying attention to crash? You must be a far better rider than I thought Greg. :p

I pretty much have to concentrate all of the time to not crash. :greg:

It's not that I'm good. I had been on a flat, wide opened road for a long time... probably doing 60-65. Dropped my guard & had no time to slow down for the wash.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
It's not that I'm good. I had been on a flat, wide opened road for a long time... probably doing 60-65. Dropped my guard & had no time to slow down for the wash.

Gotcha. So when will you have time to bring your bike out so we can ride and crash into washes? :confused: :D

Greg

Admin
Gotcha. So when will you have time to bring your bike out so we can ride and crash into washes? :confused: :D

Whenever you want! I just ordered a skidplate for the new bike, really need to gear it down before serious offroad riding. The suspension on the new bike SUCKS compared to the DRZ, it's not going to be a high-speed desert machine, that's for sure! Eventually I'm going to rework the suspension.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Whenever you want! I just ordered a skidplate for the new bike, really need to gear it down before serious offroad riding. The suspension on the new bike SUCKS compared to the DRZ, it's not going to be a high-speed desert machine, that's for sure! Eventually I'm going to rework the suspension.

I need as much seat-time as possible between now and the weekend of May 17th. When are you going to be up here next?

Coco

Whats the new bike greg?:) My dad just recently picked up a new '08 KTM 250 EXF W Sweet bike. I am looking for a Raptor for myself:hickey:

Greg

Admin
Whats the new bike greg?:) My dad just recently picked up a new '08 KTM 250 EXF W Sweet bike. I am looking for a Raptor for myself:hickey:

It's a 2005 DR650, 2700 miles on it & looks almost showroom new. The previous owner added aftermarket bars, hand guards and ditched the street tires for knobbies.

I have had it out in the dirt & I love it. It's a good mix between the DRZ and the KLR I had. It will cruise down the freeway steadily at 80 MPH no problem, is totally street legal, and isn't huge. The seat height is actually lower than my DRZ was. It needs plenty of improvements, but I think it will be the adventure-touring bike that I've been wanting. I ordered a skid plate, will soon add a larger, plastic tank and a bunch of other upgrades to make it a the perfect bike.

287374009_aqh66-L.jpg

I bet your dad loved that new KTM... do you really need a 700cc Raptor? :eek: :greg:

Greg

Admin
I could probably keep up with yo.... well, maybe not you, but probably Greg :greg: on my quad

I'm not claiming to be fast, especially on that bike. The suspension SUCKS in the whoops... but if it's flat, that bike tops out over 90. :greg: Gotta love 650cc of Thumper power!