Divorcing my jeans.... Levi's sucks. Moving on

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've been wearing Dockers downtime 360 smartflex pants for the last while. $45-50 on Amazon and they are stretchy pants with plenty of room. I gave up on mountain khakis after blowing out the crotch on every pair I bought. I struggle to find jeans that are comfortable on a consistent basis as well. Seems like I find a pair I like and when I reorder the same thing it's too short or too skinny. It's frustrating.

The Dockers have at least been consistent. I broke a zipper on one pair, popped a seam on another (mom sewed that back up) and both are still in rotation. My boy cut up a pant leg with scissors and I ripped a different pair when it got caught in the garage. Jeans are forbidden at the office but these Dockers are more acceptable. I wear them with a t shirt or a button down just the same.

Most of my size issues I think stem from straddling the regular sizing and the big and tall crowd. It's just tough for me to find clothes that are comfortable so when I find something I tend to stick with it.

J-mobzz

I’m completely opposite of all of you. I love Levi’s 510’ and 511’s and even wear 519’s I also own a few pairs of American made selvage denim wranglers. But also take very good care of my denim and don’t wash it. For cheap work/dirty pants I just wear wrangler cowboy cut jeans that I tailor a taper into the legs.

rholbrook

I'm going to catch some shit here, but I've been buying the American Eagle jeans. They have like 4 cuts from super hipster lower-half-of-a-deep-V jeggings to fairly baggy...probably what most people would consider normal cut I guess...and they don't have particularly obnoxious patterns on the bow or stern or any sort of vape-inducing bedazzlements that SxS owners seem to prefer. I buy the 2nd loosest ones, which is still relatively tight to some people I guess but they are a bit more fitted for me so I like them. I think it's just called straight leg ...anyway they are made out of some sort of space age stretchy material so they are really comfortable and easy to move around in even if your daily holds the potential for a spontaneous Cossak dance. Let's not confuse them for heavy denim that can take an ass kicking, but all I do is haul bags of grain and look pretty so they work great for me.

At any rate, I usually find them for like 3 for $100 and I just wear them whenever. If they get particularly beat up, they down cycle to yard or camping pants. I'll also buy Volcom denim when I find a similar deal. It's a little heavier material but less stretchy. I tried buying some of the U-crotch Brett Favre jeans at Target to use for work and camping. They were heavier material, but super uncomfortable to move around in. I blew the crotch by overeating then trying to move fast like a bunny, so they got round filed.
I have many pairs of these. My last three have had the zippers not stay up though. I would like to say its because I am well endowed but that is only true if I was a field mouse.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've gone away from jeans altogether, and am really happy about it. I now wear 'tactical' pants available from any amazon dealer. I have a couple pair that are $100+, and they are very nice.. but I also really enjoy my $26 pairs. The expensive ones have lasted much longer.. but maybe that is because I wont wear them to work on cars and mow lawns..
They breath better, move more freely, and of course.. they are tactical.. so I can kill people in them.

I have a few of these: pants

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
5.11's are this shiz not levis but my last couple pairs survived 4 years of being worn 4 times a week, hiking, biking, bushwacking. I bought several pairs of the stryke pants that I wear for instructing. Lightweight, little stretch, super comfortable, and seem to be fairly stain resistant. I have the tan ones and oil and such has washed out no problem so far.

They also have denim, but can't speak to how they hold up.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Mountain Khaki, Magpul, Kuhl, 5.11 makeup my preferred pant selection.

I've tried to love Kuhl pants, I really did... but the high price, tight fit and strange washing instructions killed it for me. One of my Kuhl pants MUST ONLY be washed inside out.... I forgot one time and it left them with weird creases all over the fabric, which does not come out. I now have 3 EXPENSIVE pair of pants that I don't wear. Kinda pisses me off.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I’m completely opposite of all of you. I love Levi’s 510’ and 511’s and even wear 519’s I also own a few pairs of American made selvage denim wranglers. But also take very good care of my denim and don’t wash it. For cheap work/dirty pants I just wear wrangler cowboy cut jeans that I tailor a taper into the legs.

Don’t wash it? We used to do that with the pants we used to wear to milk cows in. They’d get to where they’d stand in a corner by themselves.... do tell your method

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I buy stretchy Jean's from Old navy. They are nice. Costco doesn't stock my length or I'd buy theirs.

Samesies. It's not always easy finding 40x34 but I wear them daily for office work and can typically make a pair last a year. My wife went crazy last time she was there and bought me 2 pairs. We had words about that extra $30 being spent for something as silly as pants...

For "Jeeping" pants I've been buying $10 Walmart Rustler jeans but recently upgraded to a pair of Wranglers for like $17. Now I've really made it!

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I go thru pants fast... like a pair every 4-5 months. I buy the Dickie from walmart and they last me about 6-9 months. they are thicker and the stitch seems to last forever. I think they are like $24

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm not sure if I have toxic gas or just my quads rub together all the time (same problem as Paul) but I blow the crotch on all my pants. Used to only wear 569 levis' then switched to some Duluth but didn't care for the fit. Old Navy has some decent jeans and they are cheap but blew the crotch out also. I have a couple pair of Cabelas stretch carpenters and they are awesome, pretty heavy but stretch. They are only a year old but no signs of crotch loss. They do show really dark if any moisture gets on them, say a little splatter at the company urinal.
I have also worn Dickies carpenter pants in Denim and "canvas" They are great for the price and fit my short large legged body pretty well. The last two pair also lost the crotch. I may try some 5.11 tactical's.