DIY Beadlock tech

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Super Moderator
While putting together my third set of DIY beadlocks I found that there is some important info missing from this thread.

Bolts: Different ring suppliers may be different, but the Rockstomper rings use 3/8s bolts. You can use grade 8 if you want, but grade 5 is really plenty for this application. They should only be torqued to 10-20 foot-pounds. You can use nutcerts (I've also heard them referred to as threadcerts) or nylon or all-metal lock nuts. I would really like to use nutcerts, but when I go to buy my bolts they never have them, so I always end up using nylon lock nuts. Rockstomper normally supplies 2" long bolts. 1.75" is really more ideal, but they are hard to find. 1.5" can work, but if you use washers on both sides (I do) and nylon lock nuts the 1.5" bolts may not be long enough to engage the nylon part of the nut. You will probably also have to use longer bolts in a few holes at first to get the 1.5" bolts started.

Tire irons:
Holy crap is Blacksheep right about this one. If you're going to do this more than once get yourself a set of real tire irons. I first tried a pair of the 24" tire irons from Harbor Freight. They were terrible quality cast pieces that broke in two places the first time I tried to use them :rolleyes: I broke down and got a pair of Ken Tool T45a tire irons and a gallon of lubricant from Myers Tire Supply. These tires are tighter than any I've mounted before. I was having a really hard time getting them mounted with regular pry bars (that I've used many times in the past). The tire irons made the job so much easier and faster.

If you're in Salt Lake, Myers Tire Supply off California Avenue has these for a better price than I've seen online.

Anyway, here's a link to what I used:
http://www.alltiresupply.com/p-T45A.html

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Super Moderator
I just used my tire machine :greg: Any real bolt store will have 1.75", and you can get grade 8's for less than 5's elsewhere.
I went to Bolt & Nut Supply. It seemed like a real bolt store... :confused: Is there a more real bolt store? You better call them and tell them they're not a real bolt store. I'm pretty sure they think they are. They put the word 'bolt' right there in the name and everything!

Last edited:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I went to Bolt & Nut Supply. It seemed like a real bolt store... :confused: Is there a more real bolt store?
I've always used Fastenal; good, bad or different... The one in Lindon always treated me right. Now I have 3 all within 5 miles from me - and they are large stores, too! Probably 3 times the size of the Lindon store... I feel like a kid in a candy store! :D

...They put the word 'bolt' right there in the name and everything!
:rofl:

If they didn't have 3/8 1.75" then no, they aren't a real bolt store. Even though DDBolt in Lindon (or are they in Vineyard :confused: ) is only in a small building they have only ever failed me one time, 3/8 grade 8 studs... and they did have 3/8 grade 8 stock, just not studs.

No wait, they didn't have hardened nylocs for two bolts I bought one time, grade8 7/8" x 4.5" they had hardened nuts, and they had nylocs, but they didn't have hardened nylocs.