Gear / Accessories DIY Powertank

Pike2350

I have one, actually 2 bottles. I bought them through Zukeyper here so I don't know where he got them..... but you can buy a prefilled tank from Universal Cylinders. I now just take mine and swap it with them for $18a swap. You can leave yours If you have one you want to keep but they require 24 hours turnaround and I'm not that great at being prepared.

I bought the regulator through Powertank. I like that it's small, it just seems hard to adjust the pressure.

The most common size is a 10lb. The bottles can come in different shapes at the same size... some shorter but faster and some taller and skinnier.... butt 10lbs seems the overall best size I think.

NYCEGUY01

I use the larger ones like they use for soda fountains. 20lb I believe and has a nice little handle built in.
Bought the regulator off ebay. Works great and lasts longer than I thought it would.
I dont even keep a compressor in the trailer anymore. Got sick of killing them in the dunes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable...eep-Tire-Inflator-DIY-Air-System/192411943149

If you just want a fixed 150psi its even cheaper.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CO2-Tank-H...or-DIY-Speed-Air-System-OBA-Jeep/192413136929

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I have the same thing but a 20# tank. I can't remember where I got the regulator from but it's basic and doesn't have gauges. (They don't work anyway on co2.)

The biggest issue I have is figuring out where to mount it. I think it's a fantastic option and is fast but figure out how and where you want it to go in your rig. You can get fire extinguisher mounts but they seem expensive to me.

I also exchange it at universal cylinder.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My regulator is like the second high flow one linked above and seems about the same price I paid.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I have one of those fixed pressure regulators and it works pretty good.

I actually STILL have the same CO2 regulator that I bought from you, YEARS ago and it's still working great.

I don't recall where I bought my first tank, but ended exchanging it for a aluminum tank, 20#'s. I like the aluminum tank, CO2 is the QUICKEST way to fill up tires. I love mine, but it's huge and heavy.... takes a lot of room inside the Jeep.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
You can't read quantity of CO2 by pressure in the tank. I assume thats what you'd want a gauge for. It'll read 700 psi or so until its basically empty. If you want to tell how much is left the best way to do it is by weight. Weigh the empty tank then when its filled and go from there to get a best guess on whats left.

I guess if you're doing more than filling tires you might be able to adjust output PSI and a gauge could help with that but for offroading I don't think the added cost of a "nicer" regulator with dials is worth it. Plus its another thing that you'll have to try and protect from falling over or in the rig.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I end up using my 20# tank around the garage to blow dust and crap off my bench or projects so I can't say for certain for off road only use. (Its just too convenient in the garage when the other option is to pull down the compressor and turn it on and deal with the loud noise while the tank pressurizes.) You have to think of it in terms of how much you air down then need to inflate back up to when you're done wheeling. i.e. highway psi of 35 down to 15 then back up is a difference of 20 psi multiplied by 4 tires.

Anyway, I found this chart that details it. Its from powertank though so I'd perhaps be a bit skeptical to some of the claims.

nc900.gif

To swap out my 20# tank it costs like $24 or something like that from UCS. When I was wheeling a lot (and actually airing down) I seem to remember swapping it out a couple times a year. I didn't have crazy big tires though (33s) and didn't drop PSI that much so I did get a decent amount of fill ups. The other thing to consider is that in a group other people with the cute little air compressors or that don't have air will ask to use your tank because its so quick.

I really do love my tank but it is kind of a pain to pack it because of its size, weight, and shape. It bangs and rattles unless its decently isolated from other hard objects. Due to these things I have considered getting a ARB compressor to mount under the hood but hadn't prioritized it yet.

NYCEGUY01

Mine stays in the trailer but gets used alot at the dunes.
Every morning topping off all the ATV,UTV, and buggy tires.
Mine lasted all season last year, I put it in the garage and used it inside once we were done for the season and just swapped it out last month in preparation for Easter.

Its just super easy to set the tank next to what you are airing up instead of dragging hoses all over and waiting for the little loud compressors to run.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
With my uses, I usually get close to a year out of a 20# CO2 tanks.... that's airing up 35's. But I make a point to try find compressed air at a gas station, before using my CO2.