Do you have a 220v outlet in your garage? If so, please talk to me.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Background: I want to install a 220v outlet in my garage. Never having had a 220v oulet in my garage, I never put much thought into the logistics of the operation... until now. I didn't know I have choices as far as the plug style is concerned. For what I want to do, my internet research tells me the two most common plug styles are the following:

NEMA 6-50
accessories-nema-6-50-300.jpg

NEMA 14-50
accessories-nema-14-50-300-300x300.jpg

One web site went so far as to call the 6-50 a "welder plug" and the 14-50 a "dryer plug." But other than that, I have no idea about how common each style might be. And that's why I'm talking to all of you. As far as having a 220v outlet in your garage is concerned, which style would you say is more universal? Which style am I more likely to find in the garage of anyhome, USA? Thoughts?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I think the 6-50 is more common than the 14-50, if you're talking dryer plugs the bottom 50A plug with the arrow shape is the most common that I've seen for a dryer/stove.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Not an electrician or really have any electrical knowledge, but the 6-50 is the same style as the 50 amp 110 that I have to plug my trailer in. So my assumption would be that it is a style that is used in both 110 and 220 while the 14-50 is 220 only.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The first receptacle is the one you want for a welder. I have both plugs in my garage. One is for the welder, the other runs my large compressor and is also wired correctly for my 50 amp RV cord to plug into.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Agree with Jeremy. The NEMA 6-50 is inherently called a welder outlet as most all 220-volt welders will have this style of plug. The 14-50 is found in the home usually with dryers or ovens and is also used in the RV industry for 50-amp service/shore power.

I installed both styles in my shop. Multiple 6-50's around the perimeter for welders and for the bandsaw and compressor the 14-50. In my RV bay I have a couple of the 14-50 receptacles as well. One for my coach to be plugged in while in storage and another as a "buddy plug" for friends who stay when they're traveling through the area.

In my attached garage the builder also installed a 14-50 but I only used that for my compressor for about six months while I was building my detached shop. It is simple enough to construct an adapter to go from the 14-50 receptacle to a 6-50 for a welder though as the only difference is the absence of the common on the 6-50. You still have a ground and two hots on both.

Mike

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
My shop had one 14-50 installed, which was perfect for my compressor and heater... so until I added another outlet I just had an extension that converted from a 14-50 to a 6-50 that I made for the welder. The current alternates between the two main straight pins to give you the 220. 14-50 has an extra neutral.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
<diagram>

Thank you for posting that diagram. I like that it lists the (maximum?) amperage ratings for each style, as I intend to install a 50A outlet.

It really depends on what you’re running
My garage has 2 of that 6-50 plug for my welder but my welder is the only thing with that plug.

Thanks for pointing out that your 6-50 is only used by your welder.

Full disclosure: I need to install a 220v outlet so I will be able to plug in a yet-to-be-purchased EVSE station... which I will need to handle charging for an also-yet-to-be-purchased electric car. :cool:

The 14-50 is found in the home usually with dryers or ovens and is also used in the RV industry for 50-amp service/shore power.

Excellent. I was already leaning toward the 14-50 plug before I started this thread. Hearing what you guys have said has solidified that decision.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have several 6-50's, and zero 14-50. :D (in the garage...I suppose two in the house, for the range and dryer)

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Inspector made us put in the 4 wire for our dryer. I just made an adapter for the welder

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
For my new garage/workshop I just installed the twist locks that Kurt mentioned above. Male and Female. I put in 4 of the wall receptacles for my wood working gear and then cut off the "old" plug on the tools and replaced with the new matching twist lock plug. For my welder I bought a nema 6-50R to put in but haven't installed that yet. I guessing the twist lock can be on three phase but I don't have that at the house.

Its a fair amount cheaper to buy off amazon then the big box. I bought a whole mess of outlets though (110 and 220) so maybe it'd be negligible if you're only putting in one outlet.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
the 14-50 has 4 wires 2 hots (220) one neutral and one ground... for 220 it uses the two hots and the ground but for 110 it uses one of the hots and the neutral and the ground. so really you have two 110 outlets with it. they started using this type due to dryers and ranges started adding electronic parts that only called for 110 volt service. I am not a welder and know nothing about them but I bet they have no need for 110 service and that is why they are only 3 prong types. but I bet in the future they will start adding features and you will see this change. If you run a cable from the power box to where your putting the outlet with 3-#6 wires and 1- #10 you will be set up for the future. the 220 will use the #6 and the #10 ground and in the future when 110 is needed the other #6 will be the neutral.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Kurt here is your 50 amp twistlock plug this is great for when you wheel the welder out to the driveway and you need it just a bit further and you pull and it unplugs... with the twistlock its will not come undone but I like Kurts excuse of not being able to lend tools!!! lol

Attachments

• plug.JPG
    plug.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 50amp.JPG
    50amp.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 6