Do you Hot Tub? Tubbers Delight

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I thought we had a thread about hot tubs somewhere, but I couldn't find it. We have talked about one for years and years, but I was not sold on the idea. I met a fellow who refurbishes tubs, and had some unbelievable pricing.. so I bought one.

1C1AD4EE-99EE-408A-AF96-3636D7B72707.jpeg

I originally was looking at a cheaper R7L that he had as it was more in my willingness to spend.. but after seeing it in person, this larger R8L for a bit more cost was a no brainer. My family of 5 just sat in it dry, and we had plenty of room. I am confident that the R7L would not have been the same. Glad I spent the extra on the larger unit.

After including the parts cost to install the thing, the monthly cost to heat it, and the monthly cost to maintain the chemicals, I can already feel the regret in my soul.
I will chronical my hot tub journey here so that I can look back from time to time and see where my opinion goes about owning one.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
In typical Brian fashion, I’ve owned it less than 10 minutes, and already broke the cover clips off. Idiot.

And then I created a chart to mark each time we use it, which includes family, couple, solo, and friend categories so I can track how much it costs per soak, and what type of use it sees most.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
In typical Brian fashion, I’ve owned it less than 10 minutes, and already broke the cover clips off. Idiot.

And then I created a chart to mark each time we use it, which includes family, couple, solo, and friend categories so I can track how much it costs per soak, and what type of use it sees most.

I hope you post up the results. Very interested

ID Bronco

This is a mistake, it's like keeping track of using a boat/crawler/moto/guns. It has never paid for me unless I highly value the experience.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread

Get used to things breaking, it’s just part of the adventure.

I had an 8’ CalSpas tub for almost 20 years. I used occasionally, the wife almost daily….. At first

The whole hot tub thing quickly wore off. Since mine was indoors, and I built the room around it, I took great pleasure in taking my chain saw to it to get it out of the room.

Mine was only costing me about $20 a month for power, newer ones might be slightly more efficient.

The real cost comes with the maintenance portion. The chemicals are not cheap, but that’s the easy part. The best thing you can do is not wear clothes in it, or don’t wash your hot tub clothes. We cut our chemical usage in half doing that.

During my ownership time I replaced every single electrical and mechanical part on it at least once. If you’re setting it outdoors, plan on a new cover about every 3 years. And train your pets not to sleep on it, it’ll quickly become their favorite place to go.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
My wife has always wanted one. I am like everyone else and think it would be awesome at first then never get used and the price wouldn’t be worth it

I will be watching your chronicles. Lol

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I refuse to buy one, because I know I'll get drunk in it and prance about my backyard naked for all the neighbors to see, and I'm not interested in that kind of legal trouble.
drinking in a hot tub creates a hangover. Friday I had a whiskey and sprite before getting in the hot tub and one while in it and I woke up with a headache for the first time in a couple of years.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Last summer I bought one of the inflatable kind. I have to admit I love it. I'll upgrade to a cedar hot tub when my backyard is finished and ready to go. I guess I'm weird in that I don't dig the "assigned" seating I see in most all hot tubs. I wanna be close to my lady and those built in seats hamper that.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Last summer I bought one of the inflatable kind. I have to admit I love it. I'll upgrade to a cedar hot tub when my backyard is finished and ready to go. I guess I'm weird in that I don't dig the "assigned" seating I see in most all hot tubs. I wanna be close to my lady and those built in seats hamper that.
I've looked at those. How do you keep it hot in the winter?

Over the last 15 years my family has had both new and used spa's, along with salt water and chlorine water tubs. Each have their own pros and cons.

The maintenance and op costs go hand in hand with how much you use your spa, it is really no different than any other "toy" you own.

These three things have always bothered me about outdoor spas in the past,
1) How fast the exterior breaks down in the elements (ex, the cover and clips break, tear, and sun bleach along with side panels fading or rotting off).
2) Lack of engineering behind the cover hinges to assist in lifting off the spa cover. They typically bend and fail within the first year or two especially if used in the wind.
3) Maintenance feasibility/ tub placement: You are going to have to service your tub at some point, my advice would be not to place it between four walls/obstructions if you plan on accessing the plumbing and electrical with any feasibility.

As of late my wife and I have been looking closely at new Bullfrog R-series tubs. They seem to have engineered their products better than most the competition with respect to the following things I previously mentioned above.

I look forward to reading more about your experience with your new R8L.