do you need lower control arms for a 3" XJ lift?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I've got a line on some add-a-leafs and some 3" lift coils for my XJ tow rig. is it necessary for you to put on a different lower control arm if it never sees the dirt.....ever!!??

is there some geometry that will get buggered up if I dont change those arms?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I am just concerned about the return to center aspect of the suspension design. I dont like turning my wheel back to center after I exit a turn!! a little help from the steering geometry is always a good thing for that and tracking down the highway comfortably!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I didn't have any problems with return to center or tracking down the road. It flexed fairly well and I was quite impressed with my XJ at 4.5". Really balanced as far as capability, and streetability.

Last edited:
Its not imparative, its very "road-worthy" with the stock arms, but if you want to go ahead and get some, then I would suggest the RE SuperFlex lower adjustables.

Also, with the 3", I would go ahead and put an adjustable track-bar on it as well. Rides a lot better on the road.

Originally posted by 1968jeepthing
the driveability problem your talking about will onely heppen if your caster becomes too negetive. i dont know much about how the xj lift works but i dont think it would affect caster. (college isnt a waste after all)

XJs have a lot of problems with pinion angles, caster and camber after lifted, its called Death Wobble, and its a b!itch.:D Its not hard at all to get them set back to stock specs (or close enough), it just takes some testing and tuning. Thats why the adjustable LCAs and track-bar are recommended for 3" and higher.

jp008

Spence,
We have installed many 3" kits and have not installed new lower arms. We always advise our cutomers to have one installed but they never do:rolleyes: As far a Garry's rig goes his arms are adjustable from stock to WELL above stock. Those arms were purchased at Sky's www.skysextreme.com
If you have any Q's stop by the shop and talk to Garry.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 1968jeepthing
the driveability problem your talking about will onely heppen if your caster becomes too negetive. i dont know much about how the xj lift works but i dont think it would affect caster. (college isnt a waste after all)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah, i think i was way off on that one, htats what not knowing enough about xj suspension does. :rolleyes:

xjc

I give up :(
Ok bro, Here is my take on it,

Since you have a five link the castor doesn't change as you lift, atleast not much because the control arms are about the same length.

I have 2.5" in the front and haven't realy had any problems, then ofcoarse my return to center wasn't that great before I put the liift on and it sucks about the same now.

I just hope you enjoy pulling the ujoints 10 times trying to get the shims right:rolleyes:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
that is why you meaure the differentiation in the pinion and t-case angles and replicate that after you put it back together and set it on the ground..:) if you do it right the first time you dont have to worry, just do your homework and get your measurements:)

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I have done a ton of these. With 3.5" there is no need for lower arms. Rancho,procrap, tuff, warn/BD, all have lower arms that are the SAME length as stock.

That said, it is better to have adjustable uppers and lowers in order to keep the axle/wheelbase where it belongs, and still get the castor/pinion angle within a livable range.

I drive my wifes XJ daily with 6"+ of lift and a detroit rear. Drives great, but it has a custom long arm/raduis arm setup.