Does galvanizing usually look like sh!t?

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I bought some raw steel shackle parts for the Jeep and thought to go the extra mile and get them coated for rust prevention vs the normal rattle can job. I prepped them all nice and dropped them off at local zinc galvanizing place. Got them back today and look like shit! Bumpy, drippy, horrible uneven texture. They gave my parts a STD! So is this normal? I ground down the big drips and will paint them to hide the ugly.

Attachments

• 61753158-FD63-4386-9541-88DFAC603187.jpeg
    61753158-FD63-4386-9541-88DFAC603187.jpeg
    858.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 2FF8BBDC-1E01-4DA9-B771-40C0C4C54E12.jpeg
    2FF8BBDC-1E01-4DA9-B771-40C0C4C54E12.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • DB1758EF-2C6C-424B-8748-57DFDE7D9399.jpeg
    DB1758EF-2C6C-424B-8748-57DFDE7D9399.jpeg
    703.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 35A57700-6E90-46E2-B88D-16B5476A4C57.jpeg
    35A57700-6E90-46E2-B88D-16B5476A4C57.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
It can look pretty chunky, but to my untrained eye it looks like the mass of the parts made the zinc cool really rapidly and not flow out much.
Can any of it be flaked off ?

Jay5.9L

It’s fairly stout. They put them on a wire with no spacing between parts so the coverage is a bit spotty too.

D

Deleted member 12904

I've had some pipe gone for satellite dishes. I was unimpressed also and went back to powder coating

Tonkaman

Most galvanized parts I get at work have to be filed down a little bit. They all have wrinkles and orange peel a bit too. Yours look a little extra rough, but they would never look pretty

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It's really hard to find a good plater here in Salt Lake. Galvanizing doesn't have to look like that, and shouldn't have been let out of the building. Grrr.

Jay5.9L

When I pick them up I was actually shocked how bad they looked. I asked if the big drips could be ground off. The guy was kinda grumpy and said sure. Took them and half ass ground off 3 of the drips (all 8 shackle plate and 2 of the 4 tubed had huge drips).

Some sanding and some paint and I will hide the ugly lol

Tonkaman

When I pick them up I was actually shocked how bad they looked. I asked if the big drips could be ground off. The guy was kinda grumpy and said sure. Took them and half ass ground off 3 of the drips (all 8 shackle plate and 2 of the 4 tubed had huge drips).

Some sanding and some paint and I will hide the ugly lol
After you file off the big runs you can always ‘cold galvanize’ them. It looks just like a rattle can of paint, but it’s galvanizing. It works really well, but the color will be a little bit off.

The_Lobbster

Galvanize always looks like crap. You should have got it zinc plated instead. Would last longer and look better.

Jay5.9L

I thought about zinc plating but I read a few articles where they said zinc is thinner and not as good for corrosion and wear. I have no idea galvanizing would come out looking like they dipped it in silver pudding. :p

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Galvanizing will always be thicker/goopier than zinc plating. They're both zinc, just applied different ways. Sometimes galv can look pretty good. Plated zinc will not last anywhere near as long as galvanizing though, there just isn't the same amount of zinc applied.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Pilkington or Advance Metal Coatings (in North Salt Lake) used to both be pretty good quality when I worked for a defense contractor and mechanical engineering form were both good. There's another company Cache Valley Plating in Logan that used to do good quality with anodizing, zinc, black phosphate, chrome, and a few other coatings for different prices and good quality.