Dog Training

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
I got another Belguin Malinaoux today, He is a 5y/o retired Military Working Dog (police dog to most). He was retired for his inablity to bite on command and inabilty to seek drugs. I would like to make him and my other retired police dog (Belguin Malinaoux also) a set of Cadaver Dogs (sp), or Search and Rescue Dogs. If anyone is experienced in this field and would like to help, I will pay. K9Lowe is excluded, I only work for labor in his case.

Brian

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
umm my guess is if they had to drop them for not being able to sniff out drugs that he's not going to be a good S&R dog

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Badcop said:
I got another Belguin Malinaoux today, He is a 5y/o retired Military Working Dog (police dog to most). He was retired for his inablity to bite on command and inabilty to seek drugs. I would like to make him and my other retired police dog (Belguin Malinaoux also) a set of Cadaver Dogs (sp), or Search and Rescue Dogs. If anyone is experienced in this field and would like to help, I will pay. K9Lowe is excluded, I only work for labor in his case.

Brian

I've never known anyone who's managed to train a dog of that age for S&R. A friend of mine has trained a number of dogs for S&R, including many of the dogs used in the avalanche recovery efforts at the Canyons last week, and he firmly believes the old adage of not teaching an old dog new tricks. Nevertheless, sounds like a great dog you've got there, and if you have the time and patience go for it. Just don't be disappointed if your hard work doesn't amount to anything.

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
Dammit, Brian, another dog!?

I don't even have a dog after my best-buddy died a couple years ago.

This is an interesting idea, but one would think that after the dog has already gone through all the other training and seemingly forgotten some of it, it wouldn't really be able to learn new things.

Give it your best!

Let me know if you need any dog or XJ help, now that you keep gaining more of each.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
onetuff76 umm my guess is if they had to drop them for not being able to sniff out drugs that he's not going to be a good S&R dog

When they pick the dogs up from the breeder, they dont try them out on whether or not they can find bombs or drugs better than another. He so happened to be picked for drugs and couldnt do it. Hell who knows what he can find. :)

RedRock5.9 Just don't be disappointed if your hard work doesn't amount to anything.

I wont, I have great patience for these guys, theyve done alot and are smarter than I am, ummm, yah.

Fade2Black This is an interesting idea, but one would think that after the dog has already gone through all the other training and seemingly forgotten some of it, it wouldn't really be able to learn new things.

Thats why I have them. I also had to promise that if I ever had to get rid of him, he would only go to another cop or K9 handler.