Door-slammer CYJ7+1 buggy

xtremexj

OK, enough of me asking questions and absorbing info. After some friendly encouragement from Herzog it's time to start a build thread for my first actual buggy.:D Please go easy on me. Yes, my garage is a disaster area, but at only 20' x 20' it is a bit cramped for all my junk.

Background info: I'd been wanting to build a bobbed Scrambler for the last 10 years but could never find one at a reasonable cost. So, about 4 years ago, I bought a "rough" CJ7 for $500 that I planned to section and stretch to be my bobbed Scrambler. However, once starting to disassemble it, it had more rust than anything useful so I ended up saving only the cowl and firewall from it and scrapping the rest.:( About 1.5 years ago, I came across a YJ that a guy was parting out and that was going to be the next basis for my bobbed Scrambler project. Well, I just didn't have the time or money and ended up selling it to a buddy of mine who built a Juggy that some of you would be familiar with but I'll get to that a bit later.;) After I saw the article on Walker Evan's new trail Jeep, I fell in love with the concept and decided I really like the idea of a buggy that used full body panels to keep the Jeep look. I'm also a huge fan of Twisted Customs and Jim's Garage chassis. When I was down in Moab in September, I ran BFE and realized that it really wasn't very friendly to wider rigs like the XJ so buggy fever was taking over.

So, after taking all of these parts of Jeeps and ideas, I rolled them into my project. The name of the project reflects all the Jeep parts that are coming together to become my buggyized bobbed Scrambler - CYJ7+1.

The goal is to use the diffs, wheels and tires from the XJ, and possibly the engine and trans if I can't find some cash for a 5.3L+4L60E combo. I'm shooting for a wheelbase of 111"-114". So here we go.

Last edited:

xtremexj

A couple of pics of the CJ7 that I started with - you can see why I called it rough. I don't have any pics of the YJ that I can share at the moment but maybe down the road.

Attachments

• cj7b.jpg
    cj7b.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 36
  • cj7a.jpg
    cj7a.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

xtremexj

I started back in November by taking the CJ7 cowl/firewall and grafting it to the YJ door openings and ordering 260' of 1 5/8" 0.120" wall tubing. Why 1 5/8" you ask? My former boss builds big horsepower mud rails and he always uses that size tubing. I started planning the exo for the XJ just before I left six years ago, so I ordered a die then.

Attachments

• juggy1.jpg
    juggy1.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 57
  • juggy2.jpg
    juggy2.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

xtremexj

Once I had those built, I added some bracing. I probably could have used less, but I want to make sure that I don't cave a rocker bar in. I can always take some out before I finish weld everything.

Attachments

• juggy7.jpg
    juggy7.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 31
  • juggy8.jpg
    juggy8.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

xtremexj

Then I got the body mocked up on the frame so I could start getting some of the upper tubing started. I also built a small build stand/table to roll things around on.

Attachments

• juggy9.jpg
    juggy9.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 65
  • juggy10.jpg
    juggy10.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

xtremexj

I tried to keep the overhead bars tight to the windshield frame so I could use them for the upper doors to close against.

Attachments

• juggy13.jpg
    juggy13.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 45
  • juggy14.jpg
    juggy14.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 54
  • juggy15.jpg
    juggy15.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 45

xtremexj

Then I cut the over hang from the upper bars so I could get the kickers and rear quarter hoop bent up.

Attachments

• juggy16.jpg
    juggy16.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 42
  • juggy17.jpg
    juggy17.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 46

xtremexj

Finished fitting the kickers and hoop as well as starting the lower quarter tubing. Also decided to mock in the steering column to get a better feel for the cabin size.

Attachments

• juggy18.jpg
    juggy18.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 49
  • juggy19.jpg
    juggy19.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 50
  • juggy20.jpg
    juggy20.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 54

xtremexj

Got the bumper built and in place. Voila, now we have where I'm at as of yesterday. I haven't made it as far as I had hoped, but I've had a lot of set backs while trying to position stuff by myself without help. Talk about playing pick-up sticks numerous times a day.:-\

Attachments

• juggy21.jpg
    juggy21.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 42
  • juggy22.jpg
    juggy22.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 43

xtremexj

I still have to add some sheet metal to the lower part of the skins and then wait for the snow to melt some more before I can get to the rear of the YJ tub and cut the quarter skins of it and stretch them to match the rear tubing. I really hate body work so in the end it may end up with custom aluminum skins from Aqualu.:D

xtremexj

You gotta give yourself WAY more credit, that is looking great! Subscribed to this thread. :cool:

Thanks Shane. I guess I'm just a little nervous being that I just got the bender and haven't built a rig from scratch until now. Words of encouragement from guys of your caliber definitely help make a guy feel better about his skills.:)

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
guys of your caliber

Hey, I'm just a shade tree fabricator who's absorbed as much info possible from others just like you. Had to learn because I couldn't afford to buy. :D Thanks though. Really, it's looking great. I can't wait to see more. :cool:

xtremexj

Is there anything better then a bobbed 8 or a stretched 7? I don't think so.

I fully agree.:D

Seriously though, thanks for the compliments everyone - it's making me less nervous about posting my build here.:) Progress might be a bit slow now because I've got to work on the sheet metal which is my 2nd least favorite thing next to electrical work. I'll update as I get stuff done. Feel free to give me input if you think there's anything I need to address.

jdub

Scrambler
I would hate to see you snag a scrambler and shorten it. Don't get me wrong, My long overhang has gotten me into so much trouble! The rarity of the scramblers makes them expensive to buy let alone cut. I have a CJ7 that I want to stretch, it has the powertrain I want but the wheelbase could be a bit longer. I personally support your goals and am envious of your progress. Starting with the seven is a good choice. I love the look of older Jeeps!

xtremexj

Didn't get much done today except the grille hoop. Decided just to do it in two pieces then I didn't have to get anyone to figure out the bends for me.:)

Attachments

• juggy23.jpg
    juggy23.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 55
  • juggy24.jpg
    juggy24.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 57