Door-slammer CYJ7+1 buggy

xtremexj

Got some more done!! I finally finished the subrame which let me get the rear upper control arm mounts done. I decided to go with some adjustment just to see how different settings feel. They are spaced for 5", 6" and 7" seperation at the frame. I still have to gusset the rear off the vertical brackets but that can be done later.

Attachments

• juggy116.jpg
    juggy116.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 32
  • juggy117.jpg
    juggy117.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 34

xtremexj

With that out of the way I started looking at the front upper control arms. I had some brackets in mind that I thought would work but I ended up going through the front leg of the subrame and put a bung in to put the arm where I needed it. I made the outer tab and will gusset the whole mount once I get some more time.

Attachments

• juggy118.jpg
    juggy118.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 31
  • juggy119.jpg
    juggy119.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 32
  • juggy120.jpg
    juggy120.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 30

xtremexj

I had to trim down my Artec upper tower to clear where the rad will sit. I had to make the drivers side so I tried to get it to match as best I could.
I can't believe it's actually looking like there might be an end to this build yet! :greg: From here I will bolt in the t-case and start some work on the firewall, trans tunnel and flooring. Maybe even get seats mounted before the end of the year!

Attachments

• juggy121.jpg
    juggy121.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 28
  • juggy122.jpg
    juggy122.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 30
  • juggy123.jpg
    juggy123.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 37

xtremexj

In case anyone is wondering, I am still around and hoping to get back on the buggy in the next few weeks. I kind of got side tracked since my last updates due to finding out that the 6.0L Powerstroke in my F350 had finally bit the bullet and lost compression so rather than replace it I decided to swap in a 12 valve Cummins. If you're interested that build thread is here:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/c...ls-fabrication/959010-2003-f350-6-0l-12v.html

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
In case anyone is wondering, I am still around and hoping to get back on the buggy in the next few weeks. I kind of got side tracked since my last updates due to finding out that the 6.0L Powerstroke in my F350 had finally bit the bullet and lost compression so rather than replace it I decided to swap in a 12 valve Cummins. If you're interested that build thread is here:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/c...ls-fabrication/959010-2003-f350-6-0l-12v.html

Wow! :freak: Did you have a lot of problems with the 6.0l before it finally bit the bullet?

xtremexj

Wow! :freak: Did you have a lot of problems with the 6.0l before it finally bit the bullet?

You know Greg, my 6.0L treated me very well. :) When I bought the truck in '07 it only had about 15K on a fresh motor that was put in under warranty. That was the main reason I bought the truck to start with. In the beginning I was taking the truck to the drag strip a lot (probably 60+ passes) running a BIG track tune and it never gave me any issues. In fact, the truck went a best of 13.75 @ 96.42 - not bad for a 7300lbs truck! Anyhow, I never had any issues with puking out the overflow or anything. I finally had to to an EGR delete and oil cooler after putting about 60K on the truck. What finally did it in, as far as I can tell, was when the FICM (fuel injection control module) started dying on my way home to Edmonton from Whistler and the voltage began to drop. The voltage isn't supposed to drop below 45V and probably the last 350mi it would barely hold 30!! That caused the injectors to not properly atomize the fuel and as I result it started to wash down 3 cylinders. I had hoped it wasn't that serious but in the end I decided I didn't want to chance another computer control problem and I stumbled across a smokin' deal on a '96 Cummins with only 106K on it for $2300 including all accessories. All in all, the swap cost me a little less than what a reman long block would have. Lots of work but it should be well worth it. =)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You know Greg, my 6.0L treated me very well. :) When I bought the truck in '07 it only had about 15K on a fresh motor that was put in under warranty. That was the main reason I bought the truck to start with. In the beginning I was taking the truck to the drag strip a lot (probably 60+ passes) running a BIG track tune and it never gave me any issues. In fact, the truck went a best of 13.75 @ 96.42 - not bad for a 7300lbs truck! Anyhow, I never had any issues with puking out the overflow or anything. I finally had to to an EGR delete and oil cooler after putting about 60K on the truck. What finally did it in, as far as I can tell, was when the FICM (fuel injection control module) started dying on my way home to Edmonton from Whistler and the voltage began to drop. The voltage isn't supposed to drop below 45V and probably the last 350mi it would barely hold 30!! That caused the injectors to not properly atomize the fuel and as I result it started to wash down 3 cylinders. I had hoped it wasn't that serious but in the end I decided I didn't want to chance another computer control problem and I stumbled across a smokin' deal on a '96 Cummins with only 106K on it for $2300 including all accessories. All in all, the swap cost me a little less than what a reman long block would have. Lots of work but it should be well worth it. =)

That's awesome... high 13's in the 1/4 mile! Very interesting about the computer problem. I'm sure the 12 Valve will treat you well for a long time.

xtremexj

The 6.0 ficm fix is actually pretty easy.

Very easy actually. I did replace it when it first gave me the problem back in Oct/2012 but the damage to the motor had already been done and I didn't want it to happen again. That was the reason for going with the mechanical Cummins engine.

Here's a pic for those who haven't clicked on the link:

xtremexj

So just to let those of you who have followed this build know - I am still around and planning on finishing this project. :D

The last year has been very busy including a new job, trying to pick at the buggy, reassembling the XJ with a couple of D44s and 35" tires, wheeling it a few times and finally selling it in December. :(

Buggy progress has been slow at best as it seems everytime I get out there I have a huge mental block. Having said that, I have managed to get some seat mounts done as well as made some progress on the firewall/trans tunnel/floor. I also purchased my full hydro stuff, alt/ps bracket and have some Hooker LS manifolds on order. I should be able to order my heims and link material soon as well.

Just to add to my lack of progress, we bought the wife a new 2014 JKU in November and I took her 2008 JKU for my daily driver/trail wheeler. I "borrowed" some money from the buggy fund to order a D44 front diff and some 37s for it so I can get them installed before I drive it down to EJS. I'm a glutten for punishment.:greg:

Anyhow, I will be getting some update pics up here in the next little while and will get back into full build mode once I get back from EJS.

xtremexj

OK, so many of you and myself included probably thought this project was dead and gone. The last five years has been a mix of several job changes, other types of build projects that got me off course, and just a general lack of motivation.

When I last posted we were on our way to EJS 2015 with my JKU.
bfe1.jpgstrike1.jpg

xtremexj

In March of last year I was going to part out the buggy and just be done with it. I started taking it apart to sell some of it then I got thinking about all the parts I had accumulated and never mocked up like the rad, alt/ps brackets, etc. I started mocking up the rad and realized that it wasn't going to fit with the way I had the front shocks mounted so I made some modifications to resolve that. Then I put the alt/ps bracket kit on. By that point I was actually starting to find some motivation again, although it took several months. I found a company up here in Alberta that does LS tuning for a really good price so sent the ECM off for that. I had to get him a loaded rolling tire circumference so I made sure to stitch a few more parts in place better to support the weight and proceed to take it off the jack stands for the first time since this project started in 2010.juggy124.jpgjuggy125.jpgjuggy126.jpgjuggy127.jpgjuggy128.jpg

Last edited:

xtremexj

Good to see you back on RME and updates!

Thanks Greg! It's been a long time coming. Over the last couple of years most of my wheeling buddies haven't been interested in wheeling so that's why my wife and I have been doing more overlanding type stuff but I still have wheeling in my blood and I'm not willing to quit yet. My pool of people will definitely be shallower with the buggy but I guess that will give me an excuse to hit Utah for a couple weeks each year to get my fix.

xtremexj

Glad to see you back!

Thanks Shane!

I'm going to have to try and find some time to check up on some of the other builds that have happened since I've been away from the board. Unfortunately, I'm way to busy at work to even try and have a peek and then by the time I get home I just want to spend a couple hours with my wife and then by that time the day is over. Have to find some spare weekend time to sort through stuff while trying to maintain forward progress on the buggy. Nearly finished the hydro ram mount today but not quite. A few nuts and bolts short - or is that just me and my marbles? LOL. I get so confused sometimes. :rofl: