Down one shock, not the end of the world...

DAA

So... Shortly after leaving pavement, hit a big bump and come out of it with a horrible knocking drivers front...

20181013_Coyote%20Hunt-4.jpg

Well, crap... Backtracked a few miles and found one of the rubber pieces and the metal top piece, and the biggest chuck of what was left of the roost guard. No nut though. None of my onboard collection would fit (which surprised the hell out of me, I thought I had a pretty good onboard collection). Figured without that other rubber piece, everything would just get battered all to hell anyway though. So I removed the shock and continued on my merry way. Another 280 miles of dirt - a lot of it rougher than a cob, then 325 miles of pavement to get home after that, 600 miles total, on three shocks.

Surprisingly not horrible. I mean, not good either, could sure tell I didn't have a shock on that corner, but it was okay to drive the speed limit (up to 80 MPH) all the way home on pavement. It was a lot worse on the rough two tracks. Just had to go s-l-o-w, for a long ways, which at times, sucked. But, it was a good trip, can't complain too much.

Camp last night.

20181013_Coyote%20Hunt-3.jpg

Oh, and of course I checked the other side. Still a couple threads showing above the nut, but after I finished tightening it, there were about three times as much thread showing above the nut. It was on it's way to misadventure too. I'll have to call Tera tomorrow and see about new top end hardware. And I think I see learning how to use safety wire in my very near future...

- DAA

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Are the threads ok on the shock? Meaning, new top hardware and you're good to go again?

DAA

Yup, threads are okay. Thought I had a nut that SHOULD fit, but wouldn't go on. Was afraid the threads were jacked, the shaft took a pretty good beating there for half a minute. So before tightening the one on the other side, I pulled it off and made sure it threaded nice and easy onto the stricken unit. Which, it did, verifying for sure none of the nuts I had would fit. Which, of course, I will always have those onboard from now on, just to make certain I never need one again.

- DAA

DAA

The only problems I had ever had with them before this, was the opposite - getting the nut off. Have had to just cut a couple of them off in the past when nothing I did would stop the shaft from spinning.

Double nut is a good idea though. These ones apparently like to wander.

- DAA

DAA

So just to wrap this up...

Called Tera on Monday, talked to Josh, he got the hardware in the mail to me including extra nuts for both sides and a new roost guard. All put back together nice and neat last night, double nutted on both sides. Should be good to go.

It wasn't for very long at all, but that shock did take a pretty good beating immediately after coming loose. Few gouges in the body, but over all, seems none the worse for it. Falcons are definitely stout.

- DAA