Rockbinder- Drama Scout

ghetto

So I have been wanting to do another rig. I think I like building rigs more than I like driving them sometimes. Anyway I am always looking for the perfect rig. I liked the 4runner but it was a little big and my wife actually missed the buggies, so I started looking at something new. Honestly a jeep checked most of the boxes, but I don't think I can bring myself to do a jeep. So I came across a Scout. I have always liked them. I don't know why I never thought about doing one. I thought a long time about what I wanted and this is what I came up with. It may be a little bit annoying for the true IH purist but I think it should be a blast to drive.
I am taking a few of the parts from my 4runner and some other parts that I acquired to hopefully be a pretty sweet build. The pros to the scout that I like are they are very simply and sturdy built. The top comes off and they are unique. They have a lot of the good qualities of a jeep but without saying Jeep on it. They are a little bit wide for rock crawling, heavy and underpowered in my opinion. I'm hoping to build on the good qualities and minimize the bad qualities. So here is what I am hoping to do. And of course this can change at any time throughout the build.
Edit: I also started calling it Rockbinder so I edited the title name.

1965 Scout 80- Narrowed
Removable truck top and door
LS-2 motor
4l60e
Atlas transfer case
Rockjocks front and rear
Oris
And hopefully some 42s.

20190702_133054.jpg

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I think you and I have very similar build ideas. That’s my kind of “80” right there. Although with that one I’d be tempted to go big motor and hot rod it. Just sounds fun to me.

ghetto

I think you and I have very similar build ideas. That’s my kind of “80” right there. Although with that one I’d be tempted to go big motor and hot rod it. Just sounds fun to me.
The motor is tuned so it runs pretty good. It was out of an 05 Vette. What I really like is that it is all aluminum so its light.
Unpopular opinion: I like the scouts more than the og broncos. :beer:
I also like Scouts way better than Broncos.
Watching. I like all your plans except for the HP rear axle.
What's wrong with the HP rear ends?

4x4_Welder

Sounds fairly solid, however there can be some issue with tooth strength on high pinion rear ends in general. It's driving on the coast side of the teeth, and can shear them off easily. A lighter rig will have less issue, but big tires and decent power won't help.

ghetto

Oh right. Well I guess time will tell. I'm not the most lead footed driver. I had a buddy who is a very aggressive driver run this with no issues. That's what sold me. Also 20190704_173757.jpg20190706_200345.jpg20190706_200212.jpg20190706_200021.jpg20190704_173801.jpgGenright is using this axle in their 800 HP ultra 4 rig and they have it in a couple others with a bunch of miles under them. So hopefully it will hold up for me.

Here are a couple photos of what I got done this weekend.

ghetto

Most of the tear down is done. I started mocking up the cage. I want to be able to run the removable hard top. I will narrow it down as well. The top is very round so measuring is slow. A lot of putting it on and off. The drivetrain is also where I want it. I just need to finish up the new mounts. I want to spray the underside with lizardskin ceramic, 20190717_115655.jpg20190718_213547.jpg20190717_182109.jpgso I will need to do pull the body off and do that before I get too much farther with the cage.

ghetto

I have done full tube chassis, exoskeletons, and my 4runner has a mix of both. This is by the most tedious rig I have built. I must of taken the body parts on and off a hundred times, and I'm not done yet. All of this is so I can run scout fold down windshield, and hard top. This is taking apart the entire scout and rebuilding the structure with tube. I hope it's worth it.
I got most of the body cut down today. Now I just have to fit it and put it back together so it looks half way decent.20190720_190609.jpg20190720_190632.jpg20190720_170955.jpg

Last edited:

Ashcat

Diggin it. Looks like you’ve got it under control and it will all come together. It’s tedious as hell cutting up a body and fitting it to tube.